PDA

View Full Version : help /w Canon PowerShot Pro1 - please :)

ZURCSREEF
07/24/2006, 09:44 PM
I just got a canon powershot pro1 camera. I currently do not have a tri-pod for it (I know its very necessary in order to take good, still macro's, will get one some time this week). I was wondering if anyone could help me get my settings straight or just even how to do it as I am a totally noob and lost cause when it comes to cameras. If anyone has any experience with this camera and thinks they can help me please post as I would greatly appreciate it.

If this helps, I have a 125g sps tank with 2-400w 15k XM halides and 4-110w VHO Super Actinics. I would like to be able to take clear macros, get a pretty clear picture for full tank shots and try to get the colors on target.

Thanks in advance,
-Mike C.

gregr
07/25/2006, 08:23 AM
Start with shooting in RAW format so you can adjust the white balance on the computer. XM bulbs in particular are very challenging for any camera because they are so blue, so it's quite possible the camera won't be able to get accurate results in auto mode. You can try doing a manual white balance- that might work too.
Take a look at the
sticky thread (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=333197) at the top of the forum- there are some excellent articles/threads on basic photography technique- that should get you started in the right direction. Best way to improve your pics is to learn how the camera works.
And in the mean time- you should be able to take decent pics in auto mode and then once you gain some knowledge you can fine-tune your adjustments in aperture and manual exposure modes.

ZURCSREEF
07/25/2006, 08:35 AM
I appreciate the response. Will definately check into the sticky thread. As far as the XM's being blue, they actually aren't. A 400w 15k bulb burns pretty white.

-Mike C.

gregr
07/25/2006, 08:46 AM
Ah- I was thinking they were the 20K's. I've only shot a couple tanks lit by 20K XM's but they were both really tough, and I've heard the same from others. While I stick by my RAW recommendation, you may be able to get accurate colors in auto wb mode. Regardless, RAW can be a lifesaver even though it requires some extra steps on the computer.

ZURCSREEF
07/25/2006, 08:53 AM
How do I get on RAW mode... lol, like I said, I am clueless when it comes to cameras.

gregr
07/25/2006, 09:02 AM
RAW mode is part of the image quality menu settings-- the camera allows you to shoot in jpeg mode with different quality settings (different amounts of compression--- the greater the compression the smaller the file size, but the lesser the quality) with super fine being the highest jpeg quality and the only setting higher than that is RAW.
Do you have the manual? If not I bet you could download one from the Canon website. Regardless, check out this page (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonpro1/page8.asp) to see what I'm talking about re. image quality settings. Click on the function button and scroll down to the "L" where you'll find the quality settings- select RAW for the highest possible image quality. RAW is the only format that allows you to adjust the wb after the picture has been taken.
If you just want quick snaps and don't care about quality jpeg mode is ok- but if you're after quality images that you may want to print someday then I think RAW is the way to go.

gregr
07/25/2006, 09:04 AM
manual is available on the www.canonusa.com website.