PDA

View Full Version : Any Idea on the name of this fish?

hazard345
07/25/2006, 10:43 AM
I bought this fish over a year ago, and the lfs had no name for it other than assorted chromis. Another lfs had some for sale as Lemon Damsels. When I search for this fish on the net, I cannot find any information on it nor a name for it. The picture is in my photo gallery, if anyone could please leave me the common name and scientific name for it, i'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

reeferman06
07/25/2006, 11:37 AM
Its just a damsel, I have had one just like it but it had a stripe on its back. finding out its exact name should not be that important since all damsels are the same, they all have the same temperment and they all eat the same food and grow at the same rate, just different colors!

Fizz71
07/25/2006, 02:51 PM
From the shape of the dorsal and tail I think that it really is a Chromis like hazard said..not a damsel like reeferman said. However..the same response applies just replace reeferman's post to say chromis instead of damsel. :) ...and yes I know that chromis are technically damsels (genus is Chromis Damsels)....so are clownfish...but the industry tends to separate the 3. :) Especially since the genus Chromis Damsels are A LOT more peaceful than the evil genus Damsels.

...but I digress...

If I had to guess I'd say it's a blue/green chromis since they are the most common. They can lose their color based on diet and bright lighting can appear to wipe out their color too. If you really feel the need for a scientific name, I'd guess at "Chromis viridis"..but it'd be a guess.

--Fizz