PDA

View Full Version : how's this fish list sound? additions?

91yota
07/25/2006, 11:24 AM
tank size is a 40g Breeder
50+# LR
50# LS
150w HQI MH
2x 96w Actinic PC

fish include:
1 CB angel
2 Clarkii Clown
1 Diadema Pseudochromis

i would like to add one more fish eventually to this tank, but not sure what...

i'm going for an indo-pacific theme and will eventually try some corals (have to see if my angel is a nibbler before i go crazy with them) but for now it is a FOWLR...

i would prefer another small, brightly colored fish that will remain fairly active and does not spend all of its time hiding

other inhabitants are misc snails and hermits... eventually would also like to add a reef safe star of some sort and an anemone, although i know my tank is not ready for either yet

reefnewbie54321
07/25/2006, 11:34 AM
I dont knwow if I would go with a CB in a 40g

As far as suggestions I like,

Hybrid Blue Dottybacks,
Very brightly colored and very active. Also has the cool factor of being a hybrid fish thats not seen to often.

Royal Gamma,
I like this over the Diadema Pseudochromis but there colors are simaler so you should go with one or the other.

Fire Fish,
I like the helfrichi but it has a big price tag so you could go witha purple one aswell.

Yellow Head Jawfish,
Really cool fish to watch. Its like a wac-a-mole for your fish tank. Aviod the blue spotted ones becuase they always die for no reason. I like yellow heads.

whiirly
07/25/2006, 11:47 AM
I also wouls stay away from the angels if your planning on going to a reef as they will most likely have to come out sooner or later

91yota
07/25/2006, 11:53 AM
the fish listed are already in the tank... i am perfectly content leaving it as a FOWLR if the CB nips at the corals, but you never know until you try it with them....

thanks for the suggestions reefnewbie, i'll check those out

91yota
07/25/2006, 11:55 AM
also, wouldnt another dottyback be a potential problem due to similar shapes?

reefnewbie54321
07/25/2006, 11:58 AM
I didnt know that those fish were already in your tank. In that case a Royal Gamma or a Hybrid Dottyback probably wouldbt be good chioces. Check out the Jawfish and the Firefish though, there pretty cool.

Travis L. Stevens
07/25/2006, 12:13 PM
I would check into different Blennies and Gobies.

91yota
07/25/2006, 01:11 PM
any particular blennies or gobies? i want something somewhat different, not the typical yellow watchman goby or red lip blennie... also, im more attracted to fish that dont have elongated bodies such as those listed so far... something with a body shaped similarly to the small bangai or pajama cardinals would be great but with more color instead of black and white... thanks for all the help so far!

Travis L. Stevens
07/25/2006, 01:14 PM
Cardinalfish are also a good choice. Neon Gobies make a fine and fun addition. Midas Blennies are definitely fascinating.

IndyMatt
07/25/2006, 01:23 PM
Citron Goby I think is pretty cool and somewhat different. They also come in a vareity of colors.

91yota
07/25/2006, 02:28 PM
THANKS