PDA

View Full Version : Zoa's and PC lighting

Psychographic
07/25/2006, 03:18 PM
I see so many beautiful Zoa's but they are all under MH lighting which makes it hard to figure out if they would keep their colors under my PC's. Does anyone know what strains would stay bright and colorful under my lights? I have a 30 gallon tank with one 96 watt actinic and one 96 watt 10k. Pics under Pc's would be appreciated.

Question 2
I also have a 36" NO fluorescent fixture I could add, would i be better adding actinic or would a 20k be better or would it be just a waste of time and money to add this light? I'm looking to boost my colors if possible.

zeppelin
07/25/2006, 03:53 PM
Another option is high output T-5s. I have most of my zoanthid frags and propogation pieces under T-5s, and they love it. The added benefit is that the bulbs last 2 years or more before you need to change them out.

rickh
10/04/2006, 07:13 PM
You have almost 200 watts of lights on a 16" deep tank. If you have any substrate, the zoas will be even closer to the light. I tossed some zoas and mushrooms in my 10 gallon quarantine tank 6 months ago. They are doing fine under 15 watts of light. It's the inverse square law--- Deep tanks require big lights. Big lights make big heat, so you raise the light higher. That increases the distance to the substrate and requires a bigger light. Catch 22:) R

nmprisons
10/04/2006, 07:27 PM
you have tons of light for zoanthids, mine look great under 2x65 pc in a 25. don't worry!