PDA

View Full Version : The Wave 2K

oceanscurve
07/25/2006, 04:25 PM
I have been talking to the founder and looking at reviews on this product the wave2k wavemaker. I'm not sure i'f I want to put $225 in to a wave maker because I've already spent 200 on the RedSea wavemaker and powerheads. but the powerheads are so anoying and bulky. Any advice? Wish a 40,000 GPH this will create a perfect envirment for my SPS corals and fish.

-Tom

Ironsheikh
07/25/2006, 05:27 PM
only wavemakers I like are the wave2k, tunzebox, or the oceansmotions

Ive wanted a wave2k for the longest time cuz of cost but if Im going to save I might as well get the tunze and be done w/ it

complaints about the wave2k are loudness, question of the motor reliability, hard to fine tune the set up at first, and cost seems to jump up $30 every couple months. but on the web site video I love how it moves the water and the chromis are schooling in the wave

zenzence
07/25/2006, 05:58 PM
ya I had a wave2k and returned it. i am not saying it is a bad product the water movement is incredible but the noise is a little much for a small room and make sure you have enought room behind your tank.

ZaboAA
07/25/2006, 06:14 PM
Had mine a year now, completely silent. I have it on a 135 (6' long tank), I ended up suplementing it with a large seio. But like the water movement of the two combined. I would recommend it..

oceanscurve
07/26/2006, 10:20 AM
Noise is no probelem for me I already have the worlds loudest skimmer and pumps. Thanks for the repys

Tom

advena
07/27/2006, 02:12 PM
i had the wave2k on my old tank (a 110) and i must say that the water movement is AMAZING... its not a wavemaker by any means, but the currents it makes are killer...

Mike (the owner) has customer service that reminds me of what ppl said the 50's were like... he will do anything to help you out.

the downside is that the unit DOES make noise...
it makes an almost whirring noise that changes in pitch as the paddle goes up and down... it is by NO MEANS a loud noise...

if someone says its silent, then they've got something generating noise that masks the noise of the wave2k (like a beckett or something)... this is of course MY OPINION...

i worked with mike on this issue & due to the fact that i cant have any noise in the room where the tank is (long story, but ive got the tank SILENT... restricted standpipes etc.) we decided that returning the unit to him for a full refund was the best thing to do (this is after months of using it)...

YOU CANT GET BETTER SERVICE THAN THAT!

so the bottom line is that if you can deal with the sound it makes it would be hard to get that kinda chaotic water movement for the money...
oh one other quirk that it has is that the unit "breathes" meaning that it expands and contracts a little bit when the paddle moves up and down... what this means is that you cant really stack rock or anything directly against it because it will move the rock... what i was going to do to get around this (and make the unit blend in with the back of the tank) was to make a "box" out of black 1/4 inch acrylic to house the unit in...

i think that the ultimate combo would be this unit AND a wavebox... they both complement the others lacking qualities perfectly IMO...

oh... just re-read your post & if noise is no issue to you i would DEFINITELY suggest this unit to you... just dont expect a wavemaker... it is more of an eddy or chaotic current maker ;)

hope this helps,
-scott