PDA

View Full Version : setting up a new tank...considering new ideas...need opinions...

Mbeef61
07/25/2006, 07:43 PM
i recently moved and i tore down my 135 gallon and bought a new 100 gallon acrylic....the dimensions are 60x18x20 i think....its drilled with one over flow and a closed loop. as of now everythings i have is crammed in a 80 gallon.

the tank is a heavily stocked mainly sps with a few others like fungia and moon corals and zoos. 33 gallon sump with big skimmer and fuge for chaeto.

my questions are as follows;
1- what should i do with the sand issue/ right now i have approx 150 lbs of some good live sand from my 135...however, being so heavily stocked i want alot of aquascaping space because there is a ton of rock too so i dont want sand too high. i do prefer the loook of sand so BB is out. then i hear its better to do 1/2 inch or 4 or more... is that true/ whats youre opinion for sps tank/

2- lighting - i have 3x250 with 15k from the 135...im going to use 2 on the new tank and then im adding 2 vho actinics at 110 watt each. should be a nice spectrum...then the plan is when its cooler to replace 250s with 400s. already have one its just too dang hot.
my question is how high to mount these lights above the tank/ im not familiar with what can burn acrylic.

3- closed loop...i have a sequence dart...what are the rules to mounting these things/ do they prefer you mount it how it sits in the box with the mounting plate down/ i want to mount it sideways so that the outlet that usually point up actually points parallel to the ground for like 12 inches and then goes up...is that ok/ also im planning on having about 4 outlets from the dart...will those crank too much/ should i do more/ if you have one how do you have it setup

any opinions on my new setup would be appreciated...its to hard to do it alone...im ready to make some changes but want to do it safely and educated lol. thanks for the help

jimbo045
07/26/2006, 11:33 AM
Be sure to get an Acrylic Mag-Float cleaner.