PDA

View Full Version : The tank just has to go... but what about my fish??

polypterus
07/25/2006, 07:51 PM
I never thought I could do it, but I am going to have to part with my marine tank and fish... I was trying to avoid this outcome but it is just inevitable. A couple of expensive emergencies with my other animals woke me up to exactly how broke and crazy my animals are making me! Yesterday my pit bull got into it with a bear and last week i spent all night in the emergency hospital with one of my cats. The week before that it was a sick Oscar (he died)... it just doesn't end!

Anyway, I'm getting off track... I found out I was pregnant with my first in Febrary and I am moving into an apartment with a ton of animals. I don't have room for all my fish tanks but I am taking a 90 g, a 55 g and a 30 g. I am really attached to all my fish, ESPECIALLY my marine fish with their awesome individual personalities, but its the marine tank that seems to consume far more money and time. Logically, I need to break it down, but what about my fish??? I can't just leave them at the fish store (although they did offer partial credit.) I worked in a fish store and i know how many people end up killing their fish! I only know one other person with a marine tank who i would trust my fish to, but he has no appropriate tanks. Has anyone else had this experience? I'm going crazy over this... I love my fish!!

boilermaker1
07/25/2006, 08:19 PM
Well the post you just made probably will go a ways in getting your fish into good homes. Make a post in the for sale/trade section with where you're located and what you got and I'm sure other local forum members will grab them up.

Paintbug
07/25/2006, 08:39 PM
happen to be in the NC area? :D

polypterus
07/25/2006, 08:47 PM
No, I live in northern NJ. Although I LOVE NC. What a beautiful state! Anyway... I checked out the selling/trading forums. I didn't see a section for fish for adoption :D I seems so sad to give my babies away to strangers. I will be really weird and ask for updates and pictures. My fish btw are a volitans lionfish, gold banded maroon clownfish, and a flame hawkfish. I have had all of them for about 18 months. Am I just weird to get so attached to fish??? I used to have a wonderful snowflake eel and I was hysterical, crying for hours after he wriggled between top and filter output and became eel jerky stuck to my wood floor...

07/26/2006, 12:21 AM
It’s perfectly normal to become attached to your fish, in my opinion anyway :) Finding someone you trust to look after your fish is probably harder than finding a baby sitter for your kids!

vest0830
07/26/2006, 12:55 AM
post an ad up in the livestock for sale section. someone will come and get them. probably be just as good of a home.

JmLee
07/26/2006, 01:17 AM
best of luck polypterus!, and may you have a beautiful healthy baby!.

asmujica
07/26/2006, 03:24 AM
polypterus

[welcome]

Its sad that your first posts where about getting out of the hobby, but I am sure in the long run everything will work out. Good luck with your pregnancy and be carefull with those bears!!