PDA

View Full Version : Another bubble question

dous
07/25/2006, 08:36 PM
I'm starting to have micro bubble problems in my set up just recently. Problem is I don't have a sump where I can have baffles. Instead I have an empty cannister for circulation. It's now stripped of all media except for the mechanical (macaroni looking ceramics) filtration. Not sure if the bubbles come from it but I also run a HOB Coralife SS65. On the skimmers bubble diffuser, I use an egg crate inside below the white filter, which I change new every week. I'm not sure how to get rid of all of the bubbles.. any suggestions?

DamnDamsel
07/25/2006, 08:40 PM
The ceramics are actually bio filtration. Sorry no help on the bubbles:(

AngeloM3
07/25/2006, 08:46 PM
well sounds like you not to sure where the bubbles are coming from. that means its kinda hard to tell you what to do. best thing to do... is shut off one thing at a time and let it sit and see if the bubbles go away..... once the bubbles go away, whatever you just turned off is the cause and then we can give you some assistance

dous
07/25/2006, 09:41 PM
sorry.. that's what I mean.. bio filtration.. should i get those out now as well?

seems like the bubbles are coming from the bubble diffuser on the skimmer as i can see them coming out of the bottom under the moonlights...

dous
07/26/2006, 08:10 AM
Angelo, do you know how I can eliminate the micro bubbles on my skimmer's return?

hansonfam
07/26/2006, 08:16 AM
If you are indeed still running the coralife skimmer you need to move the black top sponge up in the digguser so it is level with the box. And make sure that the hose is about an inch down into that. In the instructions it never tells you to keep the sponge level but after a lengthy call with them over bubbles that was a solution. It does work but you will still have some bubbles just not as many and annoying as you do now.

Lisa:)

hansonfam
07/26/2006, 08:16 AM
That was supposed to say diffuser:)

To early yet can't type...lol

dous
07/26/2006, 08:58 AM
hansonfam. I think I have the foam the way you described it though. here are some pics to illustrate.

http://www.aldous-silva.com/reef/bubbles1.jpg
http://www.aldous-silva.com/reef/bubbles2.jpg
http://www.aldous-silva.com/reef/bubbles3.jpg

hansonfam
07/26/2006, 09:15 AM
Yep you have it sitting right.:)
Okay so how far is the black tube going down into the foam? 1/2 inch?
And how far is the top of the diffuser sitting out of water?

When i had mine i had to mess around abit with how high the diffuser sat out of water. And you do have the white foam on the bottom of the diffuser right?
How dirty is that white foam. If it is really dirty and compressed you can get a new piece and that will cut down on the bubbles abit to. I changed mine once every 2 weeks.

Lisa:)

dous
07/26/2006, 09:23 AM
I actually change mine every week. Yes the white foam is under the black one. I even put an egg crate underneith the white foam to even pish it higher. That helped a bit. The tube and the white foam has 1" od space between them as the instructions said. I also have the box at around .25-.3" above the surface. i have an auto top off so it's pretty much constant level.

The bubbles usually disappear right after I change the white foam but are back within 2 days. Wonder if it helps to put 2 foams instead of one. I know the white foam I replace it with is denser than the original the skimmer came with.

hansonfam
07/26/2006, 10:19 AM
You could always try 2 layers instead of one. I always had mine in the sump after about a month of setting the tank up so i only had to deal with the bubbles in the tank for that long. If anything call them and complain. It seemed to work for me...:)
I upgraded my skimmer so i am no longer using it and in a way glad for exactly this reason....:)

Lisa

dous
07/26/2006, 01:08 PM
Hey Lisa, I noticed you use Aqua C pro now. I'm actually thinking of upgrading to that one.. possible the one with the mag pump. How do you like it? That's the HOB model too, isn't it?

dous
07/26/2006, 07:50 PM
anyone else has a solution?