PDA

View Full Version : CO2 Tank Pressure Question

jay24k
07/25/2006, 10:21 PM
I've noticed today that I'm getting about 60 bubbles a minute through my regulator. It was originally alot slower when I checked on it. However, no matter how much I open my needle valve, it doesn't go any faster which is odd. I can turn the larger knob to tighten and bring the pressure up which generally will make it go faster if it is lower.

The odd thing is I've had it since January. It's a 10lb tank and the left side still reads 1000. I haven't tried doing a tank test with the regulator off but I did take the tube from the regulator to the reactor off to rule out blockage in the line.

Is it possible my tank is getting low? I thought the high pressure side would of shown a decrease in pressure? Any insight to this?

G-money
07/26/2006, 06:50 AM
What is the pressure leaving the regulator (the right gauge)?

Wiskey
07/26/2006, 09:38 AM
This might sound stupid, but try tapping the gauges, mine get stuck sometimes.

Whiskey

manderx
07/26/2006, 12:25 PM
Is it possible my tank is getting low? I thought the high pressure side would of shown a decrease in pressure? Any insight to this?

gotta weigh it to tell. pressure doesn't drop till you are nearly empty, since most of the co2 is in liquid form. as you release co2 gas, the pressure in the tank drops, which lets some of the liquid co2 evaporate to replace it, keeping the pressure steady until it's out of liquid. contrary to common sense, as the pressure drops in the tank, the regulator can open up and let out gas faster (end of tank freeflow).

jay24k
07/26/2006, 01:26 PM
The right guage I have upped to 20 and still no change so I'm thinking the tank must be low. I'm loaded with sps so I assume 5 to 6 months is about right for a 10lb tank. I'll try weighing it and see what I notice.

I'll check the seals if this doesn't show much weight wise. Is there any danger if I go along with this for another 2 weeks? Can the CO2 get low enough to damage any components?

Wiskey
07/26/2006, 01:40 PM
It is possible to dump quite a bit of CO2 in the tank when the CO2 tank nears empty, I would worry about that.

If your through regulator pressure can hit 20 then I don't think it is the empty tank, or regulator that is at fault. You may want to look into cleaning the needle valve, hosing, silidoid etc,...

Whiskey

jay24k
07/26/2006, 01:44 PM
I can turn the big black knob and go up to 40. Although I believe I read to keep it at around 10 to 15.