PDA

View Full Version : canon powershot a620..anyone got one?

sir_dudeguy
07/25/2006, 11:56 PM
hey, has anyone used a canon powershot a620? just ordered one and its sposed to be here tomorrow...how are they? any good at takin pics in aquariums?

OxInYourBox
07/26/2006, 07:01 AM
I have one and love it.

Here are a few pic threads of mine:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=837077

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=858573

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=893267

You'll enjoy it. Only thing I would have done differently is gone with a larger SD card. Started out with 512 and now I have 3 more 1gb cards. :)

ReefDude37
07/26/2006, 08:25 AM
Hey, I have one, I like it alot but I dont know how to take marco. I have tried the macro shot, but i still cant get close.

Oxinyourbox - Can you please tell me what settings, and modes you used to caputure those macros. It has been killing me tireing to figure it out. Thanks

OxInYourBox
07/26/2006, 11:31 AM
TV Mode (I adjust aperture based on lighting), Cloudy white balance (if MH) or I evaluate each shot for white balance (PITA to do each shot), burst mode, and macro on.

A steady hand or tripod makes a world of difference as well.

ReefDude37
07/26/2006, 03:15 PM
what is burst mode? and how do you zoom in so close, becuase mine doesnt.

ReefDude37
07/26/2006, 03:23 PM
also, do you have a differnt kind of lense or anything?

sir_dudeguy
07/26/2006, 04:50 PM
wow thanks! just got mine about 5 min. ago..i'll try tonight when i turn on the lights!

OxInYourBox
07/26/2006, 08:39 PM
Manual is a great beginning. Take everything at the highest quality/resolution and work from there.

sir_dudeguy
07/26/2006, 10:29 PM
dang..i tried takin pix w/it of the tank...i'm not good at getting pictues of the tank....they're all blurred. I tried setting everything to the highest qualities, and then i tried it on "auto" and then "Tv" but the Tv setting was weird...it would focus really nice, but then the screan would go black??? why? and same w/the auto..it was blurred...then i tried using the underwater effect, and i just turned the flash off..still blurred..y? lol, i'm not too good w/cameras (digital anyways) but they're so much easier (and cheaper) to share pics online with...

so whats the settings you use exactly to get your pics? i know you gotta hold it right up against the glass...

OxInYourBox
07/27/2006, 06:56 AM
Blurring is b/c you are shaking during taking pictures. Pick up a cheap tripod to start with. I get lucky in holding the camera with my hands but a tripod works wonders (be careful taking shots as you can move the camera during that).

You didn't read the manual did you on the different modes. :)

TV mode allows adjustment of how much light comes into the shot. Hence why your shot was super dark (what were the numbers on the LCD saying 1/100 ?). I'd stick to auto with no flash and macro mode and concentrate on taking still shots. Takes time to learn the camera etc.

sir_dudeguy
07/27/2006, 12:23 PM
lol no i didnt read the manual haha. never do...they always make me feal stupider than i normally feal lol.

anyways, on tv mode, i shot at both the 1/100 range and the lower ones...i did pretty much every setting for that lol.

theres a macro setting? how do you get to that?

but you think its just my shaky hand causing the blur? i didnt shake that bad :) lol

thanks!
mike

OxInYourBox
07/27/2006, 12:54 PM
Doesn't take much at all to blur pictures. ;)

The flower is the symbol for Macro mode. On the directional pad push down once to go from Auto to Macro and another time if you want to do manual focus.

sir_dudeguy
07/27/2006, 02:12 PM
oh i had no clue that flower was the macro lol. i was pushin it not knowing wht the crap i was doin lol.