PDA

View Full Version : six line wrasse and clam

auntievan
07/26/2006, 02:26 AM
Morning all! I'm thinking of getting a six line wrasse to put in the tank with my squamosa. I don't have any other fish at all nor do I intend to. Any thoughts or concerns would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Mary K.

reefnetworth
07/26/2006, 03:18 AM
they are sometimes aggressive fish, very teritorial. they pick at LR alot. not sure about a clam, sorry. REEF-ON!!!

jmaneyapanda
07/26/2006, 06:54 AM
They are generally considered clam friendly. You say no other fish- make sure no other wrasses. six lines do not like wrasse companions.

a4twenty
07/26/2006, 04:57 PM
i have a six line and a crocea, with no problems.

auntievan
07/27/2006, 05:36 AM
jmaneyapand...No other fish...the tank is a 30 gallon, 30 long by 18 deep by 13 high. In fact all I have in there is snails. Do you think I should put some grate on top. Are the six lines jumpers.
Mary K.

jmaneyapanda
07/28/2006, 11:19 AM
yes cover the tank.

chemisfun11
07/28/2006, 12:24 PM
I have a six line, squamosa, 2 croceas and a maxima. No problems, no cover. Enjoy!

jmaneyapanda
07/28/2006, 02:42 PM
people who dont cover their tanks are asking for it. All fish (with the xception of seahorses) can jump. Many rock dwelling fish (such as flasher, fairy, and lined wrasses) ARE KNOWN for leaping to their death. It may not happen today or tomorrow, but your luck will run out. Protect your fish, contain them somehow!

beemerlbc
07/28/2006, 06:25 PM
I agree with jmaneyapanda....i too have a six line wrasse and he jumped the other day. I saw it but luckily I had a glass lid on. It was a loud thump on the glass lid.

auntievan
07/29/2006, 03:41 AM
Better to be safe than sorry. I'll place a grate on top of the tank.
Thank you all!
Mary K.

Serioussnaps
08/27/2006, 08:44 PM
well this is late into the thread....

my 6 line never jumps....and never pics at any coral...he did take a liking to a peppermint shrimp one time but didnt eat the others i have

and alot of people actually RECOMMEND using 6 line wrasses in clam and SPS aquaria because they decimate flatworm and pyramadellid snail populations

i say the 6 line is an excellent addition

Omar H
08/27/2006, 09:45 PM
to which tank is this fish going to? they really like live food, pods mainly so it may decimate its preferred food item rather quickly in a small tank.

auntievan
08/28/2006, 06:32 AM
Omar H. The six line has been doing fine in the 30 gallon tank. He has been with me for a couple of weeks and was at the store prior to me taking him home for 2 or 3 weeks. At the store I feed him frozen mysis...at home I feed him frozen mysis and brine shrimp plus flake. He is the only fish in the tank. Check out my picture of him in my photo gallery.
Mary K.

RayD
09/01/2006, 03:01 PM
I always use tank covers. Way too many jumpers over the years!

RockinRichie
09/03/2006, 12:54 PM
I just put a lunar wrasse in my tank that has 3 clams. Much to our dismay, we are not going to have to tear down the reef and get him out. He has torn a chunk out of our squamosa's mantle!! I was told that he was reef safe and we bought him to take care of a nudibranch outbreak..needless to say, I would have been better off continuing to pick the nudi's out one by one with the tweezers!! :mad:

auntievan
09/04/2006, 03:36 AM
RockinRichie...I think all fish have a unique personality. There is always a "rule of thumb" for how they will generally behave. I always hope for the best and try to anticipate the worst. Sorry to hear about you having to tear down your reef. Been there...done that. Absolutely no fun.
Mary K.

jmaneyapanda
09/04/2006, 07:59 AM
RockinRichie- who told you a lunar wrasse was reef safe?! And to take care of nudis?!! kick that person in the n.....well, anyway, you learned the hard way. Lunars get huge, and will try to eat everything. definitely an aggressive fish only candidate.