PDA

View Full Version : Fixing water quality - urgently

Jayded
07/26/2006, 04:03 AM
I have tested my tank today and the parameters are quite bad, The ammonia and nitrite were quite high and so I have done a 25% water change. I then checked a couple of hours later and they havent changed. What else can I do to fix this??
Its in my seahorse tank and Im not sure how it changed so drastically. They are such sensitive fish and I dont want them to die but I dont know what else I can do to get the levels down fast.
The horses are still swimming and eating fine so Im assuming theyre ok for now but I really want to fix it for them fast.
Im not sure about another water change though? I dont want to stress them too much.
Any help will be much appreciated as Im really worried and unsure what to do next.
Thanks in advance.

reefnetworth
07/26/2006, 04:06 AM
how old is the tank? what size? need as much info as possible. REEF-ON!!!

Jayded
07/26/2006, 04:36 AM
Its about 18G and approx 7 weeks old. It houses 1 hermit crab and 2 seahorses (hermit has been there since about week 4 seahorses went in a bit over a week ago.) and I put 2 snails in just after the horses. All the levels went down at about week 3-4 (we used a bit of filter media from our established tank to help with cycling but still watched it before putting anything in it.) Was good until the last day or so.

Also I was feeding the hermit crab some marine flakes and mysis shrimp (what the seahorses eat now) from the time he went in.

chris.hampton
07/26/2006, 05:11 AM
Sounds like the cycle has just started or started again because of the sea horses. If you can it might be best to take them back and wait for things to calm down again. But i think another water change can't hurt it would be less stressful than them swimming in poisonous water!!