PDA

View Full Version : March TOTM Crashes!

sinned
07/26/2006, 11:06 AM
I have just been informed the March TOTM (snipersps) of Hugo Zuniga,
has crashed due to a power outage (2 days) in Los Angeles. If anyone
saw his tank in person, they would know it was spectacular! One of the
world's best SPS tanks, now gone! Dennis (fish2223)

Electrobes
07/26/2006, 11:08 AM
Daaaaaaaaaaang so sorry to hear :(

skeeter-doc
07/26/2006, 11:10 AM
oh man, see, nothing can beat mother nature!

Kellie in CA
07/26/2006, 11:45 AM
Oh no, that is horrible! I have been hearing that some of Los Angeles has been without power because of issues with the record heat. I am just outside of L.A. and so far there have been no outages at my apartment, but I am very scared of what will happen.

He must be so upset. I feel bad for him.

rottface4
07/26/2006, 12:22 PM
That is a horrible lost... I loved that tank so much. I hope that he doesn't lose hope. I bet him and his son are devistated, but I hope they will be willing to rebuild this spectactular tank,

reefkoi
07/26/2006, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the post its seeing these very unfortunate things happen that makes us look at our setup and prepare for things like that. I have a generator or 2 on hand but you know you gotta make sure its running, and make sure you have lots of fuel on hand! What a mess I cant imagine how he must feel, my condolences...............
Chris

csb
07/26/2006, 12:34 PM
Yeah, that was an amazing tank. Wow... that really sucks, but at the same time, his loss helps to solidify our resolve in the hobby to have an emergency power plan! This is very important and has been discussed at length, but don't overlook it for your own tank. Think about your investment ... likely several thousand dollars.

It doesn't have to be a generator, either! To protect my "several thousand dollars", I run my equipment with a Uninteruptable Power Supply (UPS, aka, "battery backup unit") which cost about $75 at Best Buy. I also have a $50 power inverter in my vehicle which could in theory run my tank for days, as long as I wanted to keep my vehicle idling. My vehicle then becomes my backup generator.

So, for $125, I've got it covered... UPS for short power outages (up to 4 hours or so) and an inverter for longer outages.

Here's to snipersps and his tank - I HOPE HE STARTS AGAIN AND HAS AN EVEN BETTER TOTM THAN BEFORE!!!

smcdonn
07/26/2006, 12:44 PM
I'll tell you what. A small generator is looking like a good investment hearing about these stories. You can buy a nice Honda or Yamaha 1000Watt generator for about $700. Or get a cheapo off ebay for about $200. Either way I think I am going to invest in one before it's too late. I am sorry to hear about that loss. Best luck to him when he restarts again. Cheers

archie1709
07/26/2006, 12:55 PM
Here's the link for the TOTM march 2006

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-03/totm/index.php

Really sorry about that It indeed was an amazing collection of specimen

Pattylucylaura
07/26/2006, 01:38 PM
Not to sound rude or like I don't care I feel sorry for his loss, but how do you have something that beautiful that you have put so much blood, sweat, tears, and not to mention money into, and not have a back up plan in place c'mon where's the planning, I guess maybe is backup failed but if I had something like that I would take every measure possible to protect it.

PelagicMagic
07/26/2006, 01:50 PM
yah all that money in livestock would make a generator price tag look very small. Homedepot (crap depot) had a july 4th sale and 12months same as cash with a new credit account. I picked up a 5500/8500 generator. I wonder why he didnt run out to buy a generator after the 1st hour of not having power.

Pattylucylaura
07/26/2006, 01:55 PM
I read the post a little and he said he was trying to mess with one but wouldn't you think you would have it and know how to use it if you are going to have that spectacular of a tank.

bureau13
07/26/2006, 01:56 PM
For a tank like that, what's the primary killer...loss of water flow? I know I lost a number of fish due to power outages from Hurricane Wilma...I think the issue there was loss of oxygen. None of my (relatively sparse) selection of corals were affected though...I couldn't call it a crash.

My current plan calls for automatic air pumps to come on and supply oxygen, but that won't do much for flow, or light, or heat, etc.

I do have a generator, but I can't run it all the time.

jds

PelagicMagic
07/26/2006, 02:00 PM
do you have a link to the post? I run my return and 2 flow pumps, one hailde and the chiller when I loose power. I chain the generator up and stock up on gas. I am prepared to run it for long periods with a shut off period for about an hour. If the power is off during the week I don't go to work I stay home next to the gen

ridetheducati
07/26/2006, 02:03 PM
I was going to reply with a long drawn out explanation to what happened to me a few years ago, which caused me to take a 12 month hiatus and dealt with a mild case of depression, but I decided not to. In shourt lesson I learned...

If you have more than one year invested in said system and/or more than $1000 of livestock, purchase a generator. At a minimum, an UPS is a must for short term shortages (1-4 hours).

I have been in the hobby for 15 years and knew better, just kept rolling the dice. How often will my house lose power for 5 days? Typical risk management thought process.

SDguy
07/26/2006, 02:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7818811#post7818811 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PelagicMagic
yah all that money in livestock would make a generator price tag look very small. Homedepot (crap depot) had a july 4th sale and 12months same as cash with a new credit account. I picked up a 5500/8500 generator. I wonder why he didnt run out to buy a generator after the 1st hour of not having power.

In all fairness, in SoCal they are not needed but once every 30 years or so. I mean, heat waves that kill this many people don't usually sweep through here, so substaintial power outages are not that common.

bureau13 - my guess is that in this heat, the water probably overheated with no house AC and no chiller. And if this is the case, you'd need a generator big enough for at least a couple pumps and a chiller. That's major for us non hurricane people :)

Sorry to hear about the tank though. As someone who just lost his tank, I sympathize.

ridetheducati
07/26/2006, 02:10 PM
In my case, my demise went in this order:

1. oxygenation
2. water movement
3. heat (winter) cool (summer)
4. lights

PelagicMagic
07/26/2006, 02:12 PM
what worries me is not the hurricane season but the incompetence of my power company. They mess up often and with the added threat of a solar flare (long shot) wiping out the grid or a grid crashing due to human error its not worth it.

Pattylucylaura
07/26/2006, 02:14 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=893606&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Here is the link.

Peter Eichler
07/26/2006, 02:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7818957#post7818957 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ridetheducati
In my case, my demise went in this order:

1. oxygenation
2. water movement
3. heat (winter) cool (summer)
4. lights

I think PH would be one of the biggest factors as well.

Pico Keeper
07/26/2006, 02:55 PM
I have a UPS for only my main pump. This will keep the tank flow going, and the sump moving. I also have 4 battery powered air pumps, that automatically turn on when power dies, but I dont leave them in the tank, so they are pretty pointless.

Keeping a UPS on just a single pump is the first step. With just that pump running the tank would be fine for an extended period of time. but the ups only runs for a few hours before it dies.

So now comes generator. I live in Miami..so I definately need one. I'm still shopping, im not sure if I want a tiny Honda one that's quiet and efficient to run just my actinics and a pump, plus some other little **** around the house.

Or get a big bad one, to run a wall unit a/c, halides, closed loop, heaters, etc.. plus tv, internet, mini fridge. Im leaning towards the big one because last hurricane season was a *****. No power for a month is nothing fun.. Especially in the dead of summer.. Atleast after Katrina last year, there was a FREAK cold wave that kept things in the 70's.

TrojanScott
07/26/2006, 03:11 PM
The heat has subsided a bit, but I've given it a lot of thought the last few days, (I'm in Orange County, CA.) and I'm going to purchase a generator. I really don't care if it's loud, I'm not entertaining when the power is out.

What I don't get is this....(and, don't get me wrong, I'm sorry to hear this guy lost his tank...) how could you let it sit for 2 days? I'd be GONE to Home Depot or Sears buying a generator before the first day was even over. If you can't afford $700, borrow it, put it on credit, do what you have to, but protect your investment.
I'm going to get one that is large enough to run my tank, and my fridge. (your tank rots, so does your food!)

Generators can be handy at tailgate parties too! :)

BTW, don't hold me to it... but someone I know who works for HD said they're going to have a 10% off sale this weekend, up to $200. (so if you buy a generator for say $600, you'd save $60.)
I haven't confirmed this, but I'll be checking this weekend.

I'd NEVER let my tank crash that way. NEVER. If you wanna roll the dice, be prepared to drive out of town to a Sears or HD, and buy a generator! How do you just let it rot? Was he not home?
Sorry, I just don't get it.

Kellie in CA
07/26/2006, 03:35 PM
I feel for the guy. I live in California and power outages that last for more than a few hours are VERY uncommon. The outage that hit Los Angeles lasted two days, and that is pretty much unheard of here.
I can't fault the guy for not having a generator. Not everyone can afford to plunk down $800 for a piece of equipment that you may have to use "someday". It is hard enough to get your bills paid in this state, the cost of living is very high. I have to pay $1300 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment, so something like a generator is out of the question.

TrojanScott
07/26/2006, 03:42 PM
Kellie, I hear ya. It's so expensive to live here, I know. But if you have a 300 gallon tank, you're not poor by any means.

I guess worst case, I know that if a blackout happened, I'd be in my truck and on my way to pick up a generator. Have that money socked away in savings just in case, or open up an HD card and dont' use it, but know you have it just in case.

whiteshark
07/26/2006, 03:44 PM
RIP one of the most beautiful SPS tanks i've ever seen...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/snipersps714/lefrview.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/snipersps714/reeftank.jpg

outy
07/26/2006, 04:18 PM
before you all go and start speculating im sure he did not just sit by and watch thousands and thousands of dollars go down the drain and for some skeletons in someones FO tank.

im sure he used a generator at one point if not from the beginning
a guy with a tank like this can afford a generator [ common sense people]

and last crashed does not mean total loss. wish him luck on recovery if you want but i dought its all done

TrojanScott
07/26/2006, 04:38 PM
A $600 generator could have saved this tank, no doubt about it.
All you'd need to run is the return pump and some fans if you needed to keep the temps in check. Actually, you could run a chiller as well. No lights needed.

I'm not trying to be an *** about it, just trying to understand or to at the very least, let people know it's important stuff to think about. I feel for Hugo, its too bad he lost his beautiful tank.
But, unless he was away from home, it should have been avoided. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry, but I just don't get it.

reefshadow
07/26/2006, 04:43 PM
I'd NEVER let my tank crash that way. NEVER. If you wanna roll the dice, be prepared to drive out of town to a Sears or HD, and buy a generator! How do you just let it rot? Was he not home?

He was told that the power would be back on shortly. They told him 3 hours.

Why assume that a person can just run to HD and afford to plunk down 800ish bucks on a generator, then take it back home and figure out how to safely set it up. Also , you assume he had no generator, but I would be suprised if he didn't have some kind of safety equipment. Maybe it just didn't work, wasn't enough.

Yes, it pays to have redundancy and safeties when you're talking about thousands in livestock, but there are frugal reefers out there who have to SAVE UP for basic equipment and finance alot of their hobby through selling frags and other animals. Don't assume that just because someone has a bombass tank that they are rich.

Remember that hindsight is always 20/20, and despite all our best efforts, stuff happens.

I think it's a tragedy

reefshadow
07/26/2006, 04:46 PM
He DID have a generator, wasn't enough.

TrojanScott
07/26/2006, 04:55 PM
:( Sorry, didn't read that he did. I'm sorry he lost it.

1. I wouldn't depend on SCE as to when my power came on.
2. I understand about being frugal, but being responsible comes with the hobby too. That's a lot of money to lose, (for most of us anyways)
3. If he did have a generator, I'd be curious to know what kind, how big, etc. A decent one should have been enough to sustain the tank. 300 gallons is big, but not THAT big. Again, a return pump and a few fans should have kept things going for a few days at least.

I don't wanna beat a dead horse. I want everyone, (including myself ) to learn from this. I won't go plop down money for a generator if for some reason I'm not seeing... it doesn't work?
I'd be interested to know why it didn't work for hugo.

Ludwigia73
07/26/2006, 04:57 PM
That's not a tank, it's a coral garden! If he's like me, you can bet he's got lots of people around who'd set him up with some frags that he gave out!

reefshadow
07/26/2006, 05:47 PM
oooo bebo with this photo u made my heart in tears again i couldnt maintain but started to cry people say why i cry bbecause its just corals that die and money that waste but for me it was part of my life because i already had it for about 5 years and i struggled many many times with it infections,flatworms,nudi brach,red bugs, and all the ones for today also every year i would take my tank with the tempetures with no problem and a month back i had some problems with my kh and i went forward with it and did not give up and thats why i say it was part of my life cause i really enjoyed this hobby and for all mydreams to be lost from one day to another is REALLY SUCKS im really thankful for those who will help in getting some corals back cause after i talked to greg carrol i decided i will not quit so againb i will look forward and not sit down.
something really starng was that wednesday in the morning evry corals were fine but becaus ei had approx. 40 fish and they all died for which i was able to take out of the water so the rest contaminated the water and that is why the corals started to die also that same morning i was working with a generator but it did not help much so like i said if you want to sell me or give me a fragment of my corals i really appreciate it
thank you

Sounds like it was a cascade effect from dead fish, but he does state that he was using a genny, don't know why it didn't work...

I just don't know... I mean how can you anticipate how much equipment is going to be enough. This hobby is crazy in that you can think you have all the bases covered, and then something new comes along to deal with.

I think it's easy for people not involved to say 'I would have done this and this, and he should have done this and this.'

All I can say is I wouldn't want to take my tank offline for 2 days to test the effectiveness of backup equipment, whether I had a genny or not :eek2:

TrojanScott
07/26/2006, 05:59 PM
I know, you're right. I'm just in shock. I'd be devestated if I lost my tank. I really hope he recovers, I feel for him.

reefNetWork
07/26/2006, 06:02 PM
god that is sad

EricBrian
07/26/2006, 06:11 PM
Yeah, man, I feel so bad about it. So very sorry. :(

PelagicMagic
07/27/2006, 06:28 AM
Who was ripping people off on ebay with 400 dollar frags after he became tank of the month? That made me sick after seeing ebay auctions that stated "as seen on the tank of the month on Reef Central"

Answering a previous post, Honda driven generators are the best however they are very expensive and you should really buy a generator that has at least 5000 running watts. For the 750 to 1000 dollar price range it is unlikely that you will find a Honda driven generator that is above 3200 watts /4000 surge watts. Almost all generators are made by the same company which is Generac and the difference between brands is the engine that drives the generator. A good option is overload shut down protection and there are less important options such as low oil shut down but I find this unnecessary. Remember electrical motors use more watts while starting than running and you need to have a list of what to plug in first and how long you need to wait until you plug in the next item. Briggs and Stratton makes a great engine but it is very loud however there is a plus side to having a very loud engine on your generator because if someone attempts to steal it you will hear it shut off. For 699.00 home depot sells a Briggs and Stratton 5500/8500 which can run most of my tank, a fan and fridge.

TrojanScott
07/27/2006, 09:29 AM
$400 frags? REALLY? Sorry, if that's the case, my sympathy just disappeared.

PelagicMagic
07/27/2006, 09:45 AM
Yes I remember looking on ebay and seeing those auctions. I am not sure if it was him or another person selling his frags but it made me sick. If I knew how to search for past auctions on ebay I would post the link

sinned
07/27/2006, 10:19 AM
That's lowdown- make accusations without any proof! What purpose does it
serve to bring up anyway.... when I gave donations to the Florida (your state)
hurricane victims, I did so unconditionally without any accusations of fraud.

PelagicMagic
07/27/2006, 10:33 AM
what more proof do you want? the auction stated from snipersps reef and current tank of the month on RC. You are right however that it does not serve any relevance in our discussion.

I do not see how your donation to hurricane victims fits in our topic either, and what fraud?

sinned
07/27/2006, 10:45 AM
Where's your proof?? I searched Ebay under "snipersps" found only 2 transactions
in September 05 (well before the TOTM), both had positive feedback!

SHOW ME YOUR PROOF!

PelagicMagic
07/27/2006, 10:49 AM
how do you search past listings? Also I never said that the seller received negative feed back, I just stated *** my personal opinion*** that it was wrong to hike up prices due to having a totm

Also if you read up I asked WHO was selling I never stated who sold. I briefly saw this on ebay.

You talk about getting off topic yet you won't let it go

TrojanScott
07/27/2006, 10:52 AM
Well, like I said, IF THAT'S THE CASE.

Regardless, back to the topic at hand.... I'm sorry hugo lost his tank, I can't imagine going through that. Hope others can avoid such a loss in the event of power failure.

PelagicMagic
07/27/2006, 10:54 AM
yes it has to be heart breaking. I would probably throw it all out and buy a motorcycle and never look back.

Aquabucket
07/27/2006, 10:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7824438#post7824438 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PelagicMagic
Yes I remember looking on ebay and seeing those auctions. I am not sure if it was him or another person selling his frags but it made me sick. If I knew how to search for past auctions on ebay I would post the link

What makes me sick is a guy loosing his reef like this! As someone who lost just a small reef to a fire I know how it feels. Its quite depressing. As far as getting $400 a frag ~ why would that make anyone sick? If someone is willing to pay the cash than more power to him! Quite frankly I would love to be able to get that kind of money for some of my frags ~ who would'nt?

PelagicMagic
07/27/2006, 11:02 AM
ahh getting off topic again. And I am sorry for you loss too. It made me sick because before those frags were on tank of the month they were selling for much much much cheaper. Its not the price that got me but the fact that who ever was selling them was using the RC totom to raise prices. Almost like selling 10 dollar bags of ice after a hurricane

duec22
07/27/2006, 11:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7823495#post7823495 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PelagicMagic
Who was ripping people off on ebay with 400 dollar frags after he became tank of the month? That made me sick after seeing ebay auctions that stated "as seen on the tank of the month on Reef Central"

And if you had any idea of what you were talking about you would have kept your mouth shut. Hugo didn't get $400 for that frag. He only got what exoticreefs paid him for it...prior to the auction.....and no body expected the frag to go that high. so how much do you think he really go paid for a frag that was expected to auction at what maybe 100-120....he probably got 40 bucks for that frag...

PelagicMagic
07/27/2006, 11:11 AM
Well if I don't know what I am talking about then you can’t read. I said who ever was selling them was hiking up the prices. I never claimed that it was this hugo fellow. Furthermore I find you very rude. It’s a shame Reef Central is full of rude immature people with short fuses. Also David you should look up the definition of QUESTION, I asked a question David because I didn’t know the whole story. so how could I know what I am talking about?

I am done with this thread. I was talking about generators and asked a simple question that I admit was off topic but that seemed to upset all the short tempered reef central children. Actually I am not surprised

coralcat
07/27/2006, 11:21 AM
Maybe, I'm missing something here. I have read all the thread, and post's to this tank loss. Backup power or not ect ect ect. What saddens me, is mud flinging, should have, could have, would have. Fine..........Fore ME, I will be glad to send him frags, when he is ready. And leave it at that.

PelagicMagic
07/27/2006, 11:22 AM
I think an RC mod should close this thread before it gets worse

Aquabucket
07/27/2006, 11:22 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7824965#post7824965 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PelagicMagic
its not the price that got me but the fact that who ever was selling them was using the RC totom to raise prices. Almost like selling 10 dollar bags of ice after a hurricane

This analogy of yours is simply off-base. No-one is forced to by a coral at high prices. The need for ice during hurricane ~ can you see the difference here?

Sorry for getting of-topic again but lets try to post with a little class here. Hugo is suffering from a big loss. Why can't we all just show the guy some compassion.

PelagicMagic
07/27/2006, 11:34 AM
Yes you are right and I am sorry for my rant. My analogy was off. I was thinking that if someone wanted that one species or type of coral they had to pay a high price because thats the only place you can get it from much like if you wanted Ice after a hurricane. Bad analogy .

All the best to Hugo for his loss.

PUGroyale
07/27/2006, 11:55 AM
I would imagine Hugo's shared corals with his local buddies and can probably get some of his corals back :) If he'd given me some I'd be the first to return the favor or If I had purchased any of his LE pieces I'd frag back just for the shipping.

As far as PelagicMagic's comments... I understand where he's coming from and I don't think he should be flamed for making the distinction. SniperSPS sells his frags all the time on at least one higher end LE frag site that I know of as well as offers the more in demand ones on ebay [IIRC the $300 pink lemonade frag was his] I think I read where he has plans for a store too... So it's clearly been a commercial enterprise for him.

If my LFS's display tank crashed I'd feel bad... but I don't think I'd be giving them any corals to rebuild, because they've never given me a thing... except poor advice :lol2:

On the other hand I can see where a lot of reefers might be willing to overlook the commercial aspect and focus on the human issue just to help cheer up a fellow reefer who's suffered a terrible loss :(

just my thoughts ;)

Reef_bones
07/27/2006, 12:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7818232#post7818232 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by csb
Yeah, that was an amazing tank. Wow... that really sucks, but at the same time, his loss helps to solidify our resolve in the hobby to have an emergency power plan! This is very important and has been discussed at length, but don't overlook it for your own tank. Think about your investment ... likely several thousand dollars.

It doesn't have to be a generator, either! To protect my "several thousand dollars", I run my equipment with a Uninteruptable Power Supply (UPS, aka, "battery backup unit") which cost about $75 at Best Buy. I also have a $50 power inverter in my vehicle which could in theory run my tank for days, as long as I wanted to keep my vehicle idling. My vehicle then becomes my backup generator.

So, for $125, I've got it covered... UPS for short power outages (up to 4 hours or so) and an inverter for longer outages.

Here's to snipersps and his tank - I HOPE HE STARTS AGAIN AND HAS AN EVEN BETTER TOTM THAN BEFORE!!!

Plus the 3+ bucks a gallon for the gas to power the vehicle... ;)

The only draw back I see to that is

WHAT if you need to go somewhere.....DOOOH

Or what if the extreme heat that caused the power outage caused your vehicle to overheat due to no air through the radiator...

I think for anyone that has thousands invested in a tank and does not have at least a 250.00 gas powered camping generator in the garage for emergencies is just CRAZY....

Thats like buying a FERRARI and not buying insurance...

Reef_bones
07/27/2006, 12:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7825438#post7825438 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PUGroyale
I would imagine Hugo's shared corals with his local buddies and can probably get some of his corals back :) If he'd given me some I'd be the first to return the favor or If I had purchased any of his LE pieces I'd frag back just for the shipping.

As far as PelagicMagic's comments... I understand where he's coming from and I don't think he should be flamed for making the distinction. SniperSPS sells his frags all the time on at least one higher end LE frag site that I know of as well as offers the more in demand ones on ebay [IIRC the $300 pink lemonade frag was his] I think I read where he has plans for a store too... So it's clearly been a commercial enterprise for him.

If my LFS's display tank crashed I'd feel bad... but I don't think I'd be giving them any corals to rebuild, because they've never given me a thing... except poor advice :lol2:

On the other hand I can see where a lot of reefers might be willing to overlook the commercial aspect and focus on the human issue just to help cheer up a fellow reefer who's suffered a terrible loss :(

just my thoughts ;)

I think its case specific....Let me explain.

If my local LFS lost everything due to something out of his control, I would help him out in a heartbeat. The first time I met the guy he gave me a couple of shrooms just because he wanted to see if they colored up better under my vho than his halide. AWESOME GUY, Great ADVICE...

Now if the other farther away LFS I go to from time to time was to have the same situation happen, He would be **** out of luck...Why cause he is unfreindly, rude, and charges to much for everything.....

There is a difference.

chocolateblnt
07/27/2006, 12:46 PM
I would hang myself ... no joke!

He should start a frag fund for people to send him frags ... someone with an ability to keep SPS like that deserves it!

rooroo
07/27/2006, 01:14 PM
I just want to point out to all those people saying if your power was out you'd go buy a generator... good luck finding one! I guarantee you if the power is expected to be out for 24 hours or more that generators at every store are gone within an hour.

Anyway, I'm sorry he lost so much and I hope the tank gets back on track to its former glory.

PUGroyale
07/27/2006, 01:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7825679#post7825679 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reef_bones
I think its case specific....

I agree entirely and I think Hugo at heart is a hobbiest... who's to blame him for selling frags from a mature collection of rare corals, I'd sell them too. There is a line though between hobbiest and enterprise and it's like you said... case specific. The mods and staff here have to make those distinctions all the time and I can't imagine it's very easy ;)

reefshadow
07/27/2006, 02:24 PM

WTH?????? What is wrong with you? So because he may have made a profit off all his hard work, you figure that it's ok that his tank crashed? Perhaps you think that all his original colonies were free, and so he shouldn't profit off of them? Maybe you think he was paying someone else to do all the hard work and research it takes to run a tank like that?

One of the best sps keepers I know makes a living off of his tank now, I am GLAD for him, and go to his store whenever I can.

If people are crazy enough to bid up to 400 bucks, more power to Snipersps.

Perhaps you are jealous?

toastman
07/27/2006, 02:49 PM
Did he loose everything? I cant believe it all died, I bet it all looks like hell and nothing like it did in its glory, but I bet alot of things will come back, alot of dead rock I have gotten over the years all of a sudden came to life, after a year in a box and regrew sps heads, and flourished, I think we will hear from him again soon, and hope to see some pix of his come back tank of the year......

PelagicMagic
07/27/2006, 03:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7826462#post7826462 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefshadow
WTH?????? What is wrong with you? So because he may have made a profit off all his hard work, you figure that it's ok that his tank crashed? Perhaps you think that all his original colonies were free, and so he shouldn't profit off of them? Maybe you think he was paying someone else to do all the hard work and research it takes to run a tank like that?

One of the best sps keepers I know makes a living off of his tank now, I am GLAD for him, and go to his store whenever I can.

If people are crazy enough to bid up to 400 bucks, more power to Snipersps.

Perhaps you are jealous?

Again another quick tempered person who jumps right in.

If you will read the previous posts your questions will be answered.

My comment was based on the fact that a frag's sole value depended on totm on RC. Thats all I said. I never said its ok his tank crashed which is a terrible thing to say. I never said it was wrong to sell them at extremely high values. Please read the posts before making comments.

And yes more power to him.

Now lets stay on topic, this is getting old

reefshadow
07/27/2006, 03:37 PM
I did read the posts. Why even bring up the ebay thing on a thread ABOUT HIS CRASHING TANK?? What's the point? It is so totally irrelevant I find myself struggling to figure out why you would even bring it up.

And yes I do get quick tempered when it comes to something like this. It's terrible.

whiteshark
07/27/2006, 03:42 PM
Hugo is REALLY sad about this. In another thread he said

"My heart is really broken rigt now, i am fealing really bad iam cryng always when i see some picts of my tank cause i cant bolive is like this is a dream."

Plz. dont make him feel worse with these other "price hiking" accusations...

PelagicMagic
07/27/2006, 03:43 PM
good point. Now lets drop it

JRod
07/27/2006, 03:47 PM
Just think how many other reefers have lost their tanks. All those that were the guys you and I are that would never make the TOTM. From the nano to the big, there has to be ALOT of loss out there. So to finger Hugo is to finger ever other guy that has made a profit. Supply and Demand people.
Now is not the time to point fingers, as a community we have all felt a loss to our tanks and you KNOW how it feels. Imagine the whole thing. Give it a rest people, Hugo is NOT the only one grieving here, there are alot more and that is where this thread should stay!

Coral Dilema
07/27/2006, 04:00 PM
I am very sorry for your loss. I had a pretty severe crash also back in march, right after my (ex)wife moved out. All of my fish and a few of my corals survived. I lost everything in the sandbed and all of my bristleworms. Anyway, when you get your tank back up and running drop me a line and I'll send you some frags of what I have. Reefers helping Reefers, because who else will?

PelagicMagic
07/27/2006, 05:38 PM
I would like to apologize for asking that question that got out of hand with some short tempered members. I feel very bad for upsetting everyone and I also wish the best to Hugo. In no way did I point a finger at Hugo for any sales or related activities. I just wanted to know who was benefiting off his success as TOTM. I feel really bad for Hugo for his Fish loss as well as his coral loss because I know some people become deeply attached to their fish for their different personalities.

Tat2demon
07/27/2006, 07:04 PM
I dont care what he tried to save the tank, or if he sells frags.

What I want to know is if anyone has heard from him and if he plans to rebuild?

Personally I think I would call it quits after losing that tank but hopefully he is able to stick with it and recover.

Best of luck to ya snipersps.

DocG
07/27/2006, 08:48 PM
I can't imagine how he feels right now. When I got into the hobby (5 years ago, the tank was 5 months old) I had a tank crash. I was new to the hobby and didn't have nearly the setup he did. I was able to save 2 fish a juvenile emperor (now a fully transitioned adult) and a flame hawkfish. Both of these fish are still alive and both of these fish are why I am still in the hobby today.

I still get quite upset thinking about that crash.

I have always known that now that I have a large system I need a generator for it. My battery operated air pump just ain't gonna cut it any more. I would think about it for a while and then just conveniently put it to the back of my mind. I knew that I was playing with fire but "it could never happen to me."

It is really sad that it takes a disaster of this magnitude on a tank that I looked up to as being the gold standard of SPS tanks to make me get off my rear-end and just buy the stupid generator.

So I went to Wal-Mart tonight and got myself a generator. I plan to get this thing built and tested ASAP.

whiteshark
07/27/2006, 09:01 PM
Hugo has been doing some posting in the SPS forum. From what I gather, he plans on starting again, with the help of some fellow reefers and frag donations.

MyMonkey
07/27/2006, 09:16 PM
Terrible loss.

affan
07/27/2006, 09:17 PM
My condolences to Hugo and his son. FWIW, and I hate to be cynical here, but in snipersps' defense, even generators and the likes are no surefire way of preventing total losses. Hurricane Katrina wiped out my tank last year when we lost power AND water for 27 days. Though the water supply was resumed within a couple of weeks. Even with a Honda driven generator I had, after the first couple of weeks with no power, it got so bad for us that we had to leave everything behind and move in with our relatives 100 miles away until the power came back on. I could not bring myself to do it, but it came down to choosing between proper sustenance for us or the tank. Also, because my wife threatened divorce if we didn't leave :)

snipersps
08/02/2006, 09:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7828346#post7828346 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tat2demon
I dont care what he tried to save the tank, or if he sells frags.

What I want to know is if anyone has heard from him and if he plans to rebuild?

Personally I think I would call it quits after losing that tank but hopefully he is able to stick with it and recover.

Best of luck to ya snipersps.

hello guys im here i did not read this thread but here iam i noly to you guys that i did not and amn not planing on quiting i will return again and another thing that in reality the negative comments towards me i dont really care or pay attention to them cause its like if there just trash to me so i try to think positive on what happend to my tank some think that every thing for not putting 250 dollars ina generator this happend but in reality i have the generator the one in which i was using in the main pump also one of my neighbors pass me electricity to connect the chiller but the mane reason of my loss was because all the fish died and it provoked the water to go bad lots of nitrate and amonia also tuesday morning i chaged approx. 100 gal. of water in the morning and an other 50 in the afternoon but this was not sufficient because there was a lot of amonia and nitraates and i am really thank ful for those who think positiv in my loss
thank you hugo

affan
08/02/2006, 09:47 PM
Man, folks here flaming should be ashamed of themselves. Generator or no generator, poor planning or whatever, the bottomline is that a fellow reefer lost something, and by no fault of his own, in which he poured his heart and soul. Not to mention thousands of dollars and intangibles like his time and effort. To even remotely grasp the magnitude of this tragedy is beyond thought. On a positive note, however, we're going to look forward to him returning and retaining and hopefully surpassing the glory of his old tank.

Sports Girl
08/02/2006, 10:03 PM
Well said, affan. Best of luck to you, Snipersps. I'm sure we'll be seeing you on TOTM again soon.