PDA

View Full Version : glass cut crooked!

scumonkey
07/26/2006, 05:54 PM
VENTING:
After designing, laying out, measuring 10 times, and spending over $800 on starphire glass for my new 112 gal. tank.....
I go to the glass shop to pick up my order!
As soon as I see it leaning up against the wall I know there is a problem- it's cut the WRONG SIZE!!!
"No problem" the guy at the shop says...."I just need to cut it down and your good to go" so.....
I watch him remeasure and re-cut the bottom piece (already drilled for bulkheads), to the right size- Problem solved.
Living in New York City and not having a car, I pay a friend $50 for gas and assistance to help me pick up and bring it home (1/2" glass is heavy). We're all excited to lay out the pieces and prep for tank assembly BUT... something is still not right?!?!
I reach in the tool kit for a square and, to my suprise (and dismay),
I discover that NONE of the edges are sqaure :eek1:
not even on the 2 inch wide pieces for the euro bracing- Nothing fits together. Some pieces are off by as much as 1/4 " :mad2:
Now I have to drag all the glass back to the shop and, wait -AGAIN for it to be recut!

Anybody else with similar horror stories- I'd love to hear them-
might make me feel better to know I'm not the only one who has to put up with such incompetence !!

Ohhh- and thanks for letting me vent :)

BeanAnimal
07/26/2006, 06:03 PM
IS the glass shop going to take care of the cost?

scumonkey
07/26/2006, 06:09 PM
They BETTER - or they need to get used to having an angry stalker protesting outside their door!!!!!!

schristi69
07/28/2006, 11:17 AM
I hear ya. I had Lowes cut me some glass baffles. Everyone was a 1/4" to big. Next time, measure and check for square every piece before you take it home. Or better yet, have your tank built and let them worry about the glass being cut right.

Nammy
07/28/2006, 02:49 PM
Just got back from the glass shop(20min ago), 4 out 8 of the glass was cut too short. I was all ready (coffee and all) to start my project.
Now I have to wait next week. The store isn't open on the weekend.

Nammy
07/28/2006, 02:50 PM
Look at my avatar to see how I feel.

bkztrini465
07/28/2006, 04:00 PM
Sorry to hear about your experience, gotta be a huge pain in the @**. Hope it gets resolved. Which glass shop in Ny is this btw?

Nammy
07/28/2006, 05:09 PM
Utica, The guys are good people, sometime S happens. It just had to happen today.

scumonkey
07/28/2006, 10:11 PM
I feel better now knowing I'm not the only one!
Update....took the glass back and explained as plainly as I could-
what I was using it for and, how the cuts needed to be as close to perfect as he could make them. I also told him to ease off on the polishing- just enough so I won't cut myself. The first time some of the edges were polished so much he had actually rounded them off!
I also gave him a template for the bulkhead holes. All he has to do is lay it on the corner of the glass. Last time the holes were off by inches.
He did give me a hard time but in the end agreed to do it over and, eat his mistake............we shall see when I pick it up-square and measuring tape in hand!

bkztrini465
07/29/2006, 09:20 AM
Hope it all works out for ya? Are you using a glass shop in the city? Or in one of the other boroughs?
-Kris

scumonkey
07/29/2006, 10:27 AM
Kris, I'm getting my glass from a place in Brooklyn.....The glass cost WAY too much in Manhattan. Starphire piece for front of my tank in Manhattan costs $800 -in Brooklyn the same piece is onlys $175!
It really pays to call around!
I did find a fantastic place in Brooklyn called Paradise glass and mirror.
They only charge like $3.00 more for a sheet than the place I used for this tank. It's worth it - they are VERY professional, Fast, take credit cards (most only take cash), cut straight and, deliver to Manhattan for cheap.
I will be using them from now on!

bkztrini465
07/29/2006, 10:57 AM
Thanks!! Maybe you could PM me where this place is in BK? Would be nice to have a reliable place to get glass cut.

Appreciate it :D.

scumonkey
07/29/2006, 12:06 PM
Done!