PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy live rock??

normanviking
07/26/2006, 07:19 PM
I think next week we sill stock my girlfriends tank with some live rock and base rock. Anyone know where we can get some decent rock inexpensively? (did I spell that right?, lol) Last time I bought rock was at Trey's. $2 a pound was nice. Thanks again friends, Dan.

racer69
07/26/2006, 09:09 PM
Good luck finding rock for $2 a pound locally. Trey got some good deals on rock but nobody else seems to want to sell it cheap. The only other alternative is the internet, but you will pay for shipping, and then have to make sure it is truly live.

COreefer
07/26/2006, 09:19 PM
See what Neptune's Realm can do...a friend of mine got a box from Todd for $3 a pound.

Also check the Denver forum..it seems there is a lot of stuff coming up f/s lately.

here's a thread going...$3 per lbs, but maybe he will give it to you for 2.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=894079

murfman
07/26/2006, 10:19 PM
I got mine from a company in Dallas. Shipped to the door for 25 and 2 a lb. It was deep water rock so very little cycle.

This rock has free shipping.

http://www.baserock-sales.com/liverockbythepound.htm

base rock.

http://coralsplus.com/Live%20Rock.htm

normanviking
07/27/2006, 07:43 AM
Thanks a lot guys. I will start by asking Todd at Neptunes first to see what he can do.

The Haj
07/27/2006, 11:27 AM
I might be having a hundred pounds or so Available in the next week or so!!

The Haj
07/27/2006, 02:10 PM
o.k. almost 200 pounds

COreefer
07/27/2006, 03:23 PM
Haj,

I know you will think I'm a jerk, but LFS and pet stores cannot advertise on this forum. It's in the user agreement...and the standard has to apply to everyone.

rekn
07/27/2006, 03:26 PM
funny, i see alot of product and store review/warnings all over the forums.

The Haj
07/27/2006, 04:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7826915#post7826915 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by COreefer
Haj,

I know you will think I'm a jerk, but LFS and pet stores cannot advertise on this forum. It's in the user agreement...and the standard has to apply to everyone.

No,I do not think you are a jerk whatsoever,nor do I think I am above reefcentral policies.. Since I was buying a tank in Colorado Springs and do not need the live rock Iwas going to see if I could get somemore of the higher end sps frags from Dan. So this has nothing to do with a store period nor did the bulkhead yesterday we traded for frags for my personal tank. As I have with several members on the board, So no selling price was ever mentioned. Just trying to help him cause I know how expensive this hobby is. Just ask murphman. If anyone has any questions please feel free to pm me..

rekn
07/28/2006, 07:18 AM
so do you own an lfs haj?

The Haj
07/28/2006, 08:17 AM
I sure do however, I have never advertised or sold anything on here. And do not plan on it either. Since I never put a price on the live rock that I was trading him for,Do not know really why this was brought up,oh well.

COreefer
07/28/2006, 09:35 AM
It was brought up because any other LFS owner advertising they have 200lbs of liverock available would be questioned as well. How can anyone around here draw the distinction between what is your personal and what is business?? That's a very narrow line and isn't fair to other Lfs owners if you can advertise saying its as a hobbyist, when they cannot at all...it's a very slippery slope.

The Haj
07/28/2006, 10:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7831861#post7831861 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by COreefer
It was brought up because any other LFS owner advertising they have 200lbs of liverock available would be questioned as well. How can anyone around here draw the distinction between what is your personal and what is business?? That's a very narrow line and isn't fair to other Lfs owners if you can advertise saying its as a hobbyist, when they cannot at all...it's a very slippery slope.

I agree,however instead of bringing it to the forum I would of Got in contact with the person , as well as I should of pm Dan and told him about the tank I bought in Colorado Springs with the rock. I know the self appointed members of S.C.M.A.S. has a obligation and I am fine with that. If a situation like this arises in the future we know how to handle it now.

Agu
07/28/2006, 03:17 PM
To clarify the situation ........

LFS owners do not have "personal tanks" when it comes to selling on RC. The assumption is that everything is business related. However, an LFS can sell limited personal reef related items with prior permission from the mods.

Circumventing this restriction by using PMs is effective until the LFS owner is reported, then they're banned.

Buying to resell is considered commercial in any case irregardless of profit motive.

The Haj
07/28/2006, 03:35 PM
Agu,
Thank for the descriptive clarification I now no the do's and don'ts. Regards Anthony

COreefer
07/28/2006, 03:46 PM
I'm glad you understand Anthony...I get my back up, and sometimes overeact over these types of issues because many times in the past three years there have been retailers to try and take advantage of having a free platform to pitch their products to. I'm not speaking only about the forum, but meetings as well...

The Haj
07/28/2006, 03:58 PM
Eric,

Now that I know were we stand,All is good my friend!