PDA

View Full Version : to add a bristle worm or not?

maxdout
07/27/2006, 12:05 AM
i just got a bristle worm from a member. he's pretty big, bout 2 inches. pretty scary looking. but anyhow, was wondering if it was good to throw him into my 100 gal tank. here is what i have right now, some soft corals, 1 fire shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp, 3 clowns and some turbo snails. would this guy help me out or ruin my stuff. my tank has been setup for 5 months now. any info would be great. thanks

Dubbin1
07/27/2006, 12:19 AM
My guess is that you already have plenty of BW's in your tank. Anyway, they are a good thing to have and help in keeping the tank clean.

newreefbishop
07/27/2006, 06:45 AM
He would help yes, but population can grow like crazy if you over feed etc. The population waxes and wanes as long as they are in balance they are good. I have a few in my tank dont seem to hurt anything.

Shariesue
07/27/2006, 08:08 AM
What do BW's look like exactly? I have worms in my tank and can't be sure what they are. They are pink with lots of little legs. They seem to hide in the rock or under the sand whenever the lights come on. Don't know where they came from but I have way too many and don't know how to rid my tank of them. Someone suggested a trap which we've tried but only catch a few each time.

Sk8r
07/27/2006, 08:20 AM
Shariesue, those probably aren't legs---they're spines. I have probably over a cupful of them in my 52, including 4 ten-inchers, and they're valuable---in the rare event something large dies [I lost a really huge snail out of reach] they're cleaned and gone by morning.

SeanySean
07/27/2006, 05:29 PM
add him in there, I have hundreds of them and two that are aroun 10" those are grey in colour, they go mad at feeding time

Shariesue
07/28/2006, 04:50 AM
Oh wow thanks so much for telling me this! I've been so worried about these worms and they give me the creeps (LOL). Are they these bristle ones people talk about?? I was so afraid they would take over my tank eventually. My fish seem OK but still "knowledge is power" as they say. I still don't know where they came from because I haven't added a thing to my tank in over a year. Your replies were greatly appreciated!!!