PDA

View Full Version : Taking out crushed coral?

kevin21
07/27/2006, 01:32 PM
hey,

i have a 55g reef that has been up for a year with crushed coral.
there was a bit of a preoblem with the temp. in there a couple of weeks ago because the heater turned on. :(

only inhabinats are...2 clowns...yellow watchman goby...some gsp...some capnella a hermit and an emerald crab.

i would like to replace the CC with arag. sand from old castle.(playsand)

hwo should i go about doing this? take out the crushed coral little by little every other day? then add the sand little by little to prevent sand storms?

i wont be able to get all of the CC out but i want at least 90% sand in there.

thyanks

kraze3
07/27/2006, 01:47 PM
I would try to siphon it out, this way it shouldnt get to stirred up. You could take it out over the course of a few water changes or all at once it shouldnt matter.

Wash your sand thoroughly before you add to the tank. Then use a piece of PVC pipe and pour the sand into the pipe and that should keep most of it at the bottom of the tank.

kevin21
07/27/2006, 01:54 PM
really? wouldnt i be shocking the tank if i took it all out at once? taking away bacteria?

it would be hard to get the sand in the back of the tank as of all the rocks.

any ideas?

kraze3
07/27/2006, 02:11 PM
I think there should be plenty of bacteria on your rocks. If you feel more comfortable doing it over a few water changes then go for it. I have a 75 g and I had the gravel stuff in there, like in FW setups. I took it out all at once cause i hated it and i added sand with no ill effects.

To get the sand in the back you could use a smaller piece of pvc with funnel on top. add the sand slowly and it should work.

kevin21
07/27/2006, 02:52 PM
ok....thanks alot

Dubbin1
07/27/2006, 03:15 PM
When I switched mine over I just took it all out at once. What I did though was I put all of the rock, water and livestock in rubbermaid tubs then scooped out all of the CC. Next I put the sand in the tank, placed a trashbag over it and then pumped the water back in. The trash bag will keep the sand storm down to a minimum.

kevin21
07/27/2006, 07:39 PM
thanks, ive heard of the trashbag method.