PDA

View Full Version : 7 days in with specs and pics Am I on track?

Slickdude
07/27/2006, 05:22 PM
Howdy again, this is a follow up to the old rookie thread. This is day 7 since the rock was sunk and I have been testing everyday and I added cycle on the 6th day. Look at the pic and tell me what you think thanks

Tank started on 7-21
Got test kit in mail with light first test on 7-23

7-24

Nitrite between .025 &.050
Nitrate between 0 & 5.0
PH 7.8
Ammonia 0

7-25

Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
PH 7.8 - 8.0
Ammonia 0

7-26 Cycle added 12 hours prior to test

Nitrite 0
Nitrate between 10
PH 8.0
Ammonia 0

7-27

Nitrite between 0
Nitrate between 10
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0

Woke up today to a different looking tank this brown stuff was not there when I went to work and now look at it. What do you think?

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/130528mini-alage.jpg

Thanks for looking

Slickdude:bum:

angelsj247
07/27/2006, 06:48 PM
you added cycle? what does that mean?
the brown stuff is a diatom bloom.. it shows up in a newly established tank, its fine and will go away with time.
looks like your cycle is about done,do a water change and wait about another week to make sure all levels are good.

oldreefer76
07/27/2006, 07:20 PM
patience patience you have entered the first of many types of algae blooms your tank is far from cycled or ready for any type of livestock

angelsj247
07/27/2006, 07:39 PM
id say add your cleanup crew in a week or 2 then wait a another week after that and you can add a fish.

The Reefer91
07/27/2006, 07:58 PM
my tank took 4 weeks to finish it's cycle and make it suitable for livestock. you'll have much more than diatoms. you'll get hair algae, cyano, red turf, all sorts of things, it'll be great ;)

EDIT: it also doesn't look like you've had your ammonia spike yet.

Slickdude
07/27/2006, 08:01 PM
I added the product "cycle" to kinda kick start the cycle.( thats a lot of cycles) HAHA anyway I am in no big hurry about adding fish or corals....but when do you guys think would be a good time to add a Cleanup crew and what would u add? Do you guys agree with adding a crew in a week, after a water change?

Thanks

Slickdude :bum:

chrisstie
07/28/2006, 07:34 AM
I'm wondering where your ammonia spike went because you should have that, and then it should go to 0 and your nitrites should then go up (like your day 1) ...

i'm not an expert though but i'd definitely follow the advice of folks here cause it'll save you a big headache - i'd say in a week or two for your crew should be fine but keep an eye on those params until then

I took RC's advice and just went slow and am the better for it :) And still learning tons about tanks and species and everything inbetween!

The Reefer91
07/28/2006, 11:20 AM
i don't know what you're going to add, but here is what is in my 10g.

3 Astrea snails
6 Mexican turbo snails
2 Cerith snails
1 Stomatella snail
5 Blue-legged hermit crabs

Slickdude
07/28/2006, 07:40 PM
Anyone? Ideas about no ammonia spike?? The only spike I have had is the Nitrate, and it has held steady ever since the spike. I have had 2 conflicting answers here about addition of crew, what do the rest of yall think? I am in no hurry, but I am open to a cleanup crew when needed or recommended.

Thanks

Slickdude:bum:

The Reefer91
07/28/2006, 07:46 PM
maybe, maybe the cycle product you added didn't allow the ammonia spike? where did you get your rock? if it was already cured(as in fullly cycled somewhere else) there wouldn't be any ammonia spike.

Slickdude
07/28/2006, 07:57 PM
I bought the rock at a Local Fish store, I was very picky when I picked it out..they had a lot that were covered in a brown hairy algae...I picked these 2 out having the least and I cleaned them...the helper at the store had no idea how long the rock had been there but I made several visits to the store before I bought this and they didnt look like they had been moving alot of rock.. so I would say it was there sevral weeks at the least. She pulled one rock out that was pretty clean and was on top of the pile and GAWD did it stink. I had no idea a rock could smell like a dead animal. I didnt pick that one to say the least..didnt get any rock from the tank it was in either.

Slickdude :bum:

angelsj247
07/29/2006, 09:10 AM
the ammonia spike could of had a little spike in those first 3 days he didnt test.. and went down. thats a possiblity bc the nitrites are up the first day he tested.

The Reefer91
07/29/2006, 10:01 AM
o, i missed that he didn't test at first. that could be a possibility, but i've always found (in freshwater also) that ammonia spikes tend to last longer, or be at least trace-able

Slickdude
07/29/2006, 05:30 PM
So what u think?? Cleanup crew in bout a week? If answer is yes.. recommendations and quantities are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks
Slickdude