PDA

View Full Version : T5 reflector issues

phlipper84
07/28/2006, 09:58 PM
I am about to set about replacing my 48" VHO bulbs with 48" T5 bulbs. Anyhow, I am planning to do it two bulbs at a time and utilize the same IceCap 660 ballast. Now to the point of the thread. Getting reflectors is a pain in the butt. I have been able to find single reflectors, but it will be a little bit expensive that way by the time I am done. What I was hoping was to find reflectors that would handle 2 bulbs. I have the 4 bulbs spit into 2's by MH pendants. Any ideas? The local fish store recommends reflector tape (?) but I am not so sure that is going to be really good.
HELP ME PLEASE!

Putawaywet
07/28/2006, 11:12 PM
IMO it really depends on what you are trying to do. If you are just looking for supplemental lighting to compliment the MH's then yeah, it would work. But I can't help but think why bother? The VHO's should be serving you fine in this area should they not?

On the other hand, if you are actually looking to add some additional performance out of your T5's then a quality single reflector of the likes of SLS & IceCap is really the only way to go IMO. Anything less and I feel you'd lose whatever edge you'd have over the VHO's.

Without trying to sound too judgemental, I don't think I'm understanding what you mean by getting reflectors is a pain in the butt. Especially if it's strickly a cost saving measure. You have a relatively large tank with what must be a sizeable amount of money tied up in equipment, so I'm having trouble understanding why you're trying to save a few bucks on a couple reflectors? Doesn't make sense to me :confused:

Brett

Ruu
07/28/2006, 11:13 PM
The individual reflectors are really what makes the T5 lighting stand out - are you asking if you can stick two bulbs under a single reflector? If so, I would advise against, since you are really giving up much of the advantage of getting T5 lighting over other lights. As it happens, aqualuxlighting are having a sale on their reflectors here:

Reflectors (http://www.aqualuxlighting.com/reflectors.html)

Have a look - these are decent individual reflectors for a budget.

Dave

phlipper84
07/28/2006, 11:17 PM
the vho bulbs currently produced by uri have a tendency to turn everything pink. when the mh kicks on the colr goes correct, but since the Vho's are on by themselves for about 4 hours per day, I really would like the tank to look better during those times.
As to having buckets of money tied up in my tank, I am afraid it is all too true. Unfortunately, that is what the boss says also. One more major blast of equip. spending and I could have my spot permanently reserved in the doghouse.

phlipper84
07/28/2006, 11:19 PM
thanks for the tip. that meets all the criteria I am looking for.