PDA

View Full Version : What is the best small system?

suznf
07/29/2006, 06:56 AM
I've been looking for a small system for my office. I'm thinking between 8gal - 20 gal.
Now that I've begun to look at the choices, I'm overwhelmed.
I'd like to keep some soft corals and a small fish or so.
I need advice. What do you think and why?

noschmo
07/29/2006, 07:33 AM
I have three nano systems in my office. They all happen to be 24 gallons. There is no best system. People have don't some great things in tiny pico tanks and 12 gallon systems,
That said, I just like the little extra galonage with a 24 for slightly better parameter stabilty and more coral/fish choices.
Don't rely entirely on others and this forum. Make the small investment in some good books then supplement with the information that other reefers generously provide.
Choices: Jbh Nano deluxe, aquapod, new oceanic biocubes. all reasonable choice and I am sure you will be bombarded with every bodies opinions. Don't get yourself even more confused about lightning. The lighting with these systems will all support fish and the type of lower level lighting corals you will want to have and of course, "Keep the peace".

Carl_in_Florida
07/29/2006, 09:01 AM
If you want to keep softies and fish than lighting wont be a big issue. Get whatever fits your budget. They are all pretty much the same.

Doglover_50
07/29/2006, 04:31 PM
Both prior posts are right on. I am 2 months with a JBJ Nano DX 12 gallon. LOVE it. Would have liked to get more gallons for more stability, but couldn't finance it at the tie. Lighting on DX has my basic corals flourishing, and I'm planning on 3-4 fish total. At 2 right now, water parameters seem nice and stable.

hgbarwick
07/29/2006, 06:09 PM
I have the 12 gallon aquapod and I love it. I have softies and leathers and 2 fish. I keep a bicolor blenny and a black occellaris clown.

noschmo
07/30/2006, 08:51 AM
To those with small tanks, 12 gallons and lower, I have been amazed at some of the great jobs people have done with these tanks. Its incredible to see the creatitivity! The 12 aquapod and Nano are both perfect sizes to work with for those willing to be attentive to its water needs.

suznf
07/31/2006, 09:52 AM
Im wondering if anyone has experience.... good or bad with the 8gal or 14 gal bio cubes from Oceanic systems?

noschmo
07/31/2006, 12:58 PM
These are new tanks that were just released and I have been involvev in posting on a number of other threads about the Oceanic Biotope. Have a look at them. That said, I would go with the 14, a nice add of two gallons over aqaupod or nano. Go buy the tank.