PDA

View Full Version : clam in a 10g?

The Reefer91
07/29/2006, 04:03 PM
i was thinking about how i want my tank to have a combination of lots of different things, and i was wondering if a clam would work in a 10g tank. it would be about 8" away from the light, which is a 65watt PC light with a fully rounded reflector. i would also have a kalk drip. i won't be doing any SPS in this tank as well.

but would this idea work?

The Reefer91
07/29/2006, 04:18 PM
anyone?

sir_dudeguy
07/29/2006, 04:45 PM
i dont see why it wouldnt work in a 10, but idk if that light is enough...i think smaller tanks break the rule for lighting...i think...i'm pretty sure i heard that somewhere.

but anyways, 6.5 watts per gallon wont be enough i dont think..

Bebo77
07/29/2006, 05:47 PM
so long as its enough light and Ca levels are ok i dont see why not

The Reefer91
07/29/2006, 06:29 PM
it's pretty bright, the spot where i want it to go.

Pico Keeper
07/29/2006, 06:38 PM
I'm gonna play the opposite team and tell you NO.

I'm sure its possible to keep it alive for a pretty long time, but a 10 gallon is definately not a healthy permanent home. Water quality has to be perfect and stable, which in a 10 gallon is almost impossible, even with ATO.. Also you might have a hard time feeding it in such a small tank.

Even though its possible, im sure. I just dont see why. If you do, go with the giant clams.. they need less light, but keep in mind, it will eventually get really really big.

Reef_bones
07/29/2006, 06:42 PM
I was always told that a clam needs pristeen water quality with little fluctuation salinity. I would worry in a 10g the water can change to rapidly...Take it for what its worth.. Not saying you can't I just think the smaller the tank the more your water parameters fluctuate...

sir_dudeguy
07/29/2006, 06:42 PM
dont know what ATO is, but i'd say that 10g IS possible...if you get a big sump lol..

but i dont really think the light is enough...i have 7 and a half watts of light per gallon w/pc's also...i was asking about them a while ago and the general answer to weather or not that was enough light was "NO"....so i'd try to get more light, a sump of like, 20 gallons or more, and then i'd say you're good.

mbbuna
07/30/2006, 05:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7840862#post7840862 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reef_bones
I was always told that a clam needs pristeen water quality with little fluctuation salinity. I would worry in a 10g the water can change to rapidly...........the smaller the tank the more your water parameters fluctuate...

:thumbsup:

milhouse74
07/30/2006, 06:03 AM
Go check out nano-reef.com and you will get better answers there. It will come down to a few things. The clam type, and how ontop of things you are. Your lighting won't be enough for all types. Also keep in mind you will need a home for it when it outgrows your tank.

Milhouse