PDA

View Full Version : Purpose of high water flow?

Bluetooth
07/29/2006, 06:38 PM
In reading everything I can on this site, a few common themes arise, most of which make perfect sence, and need no explaination (water changes, RO/DI water, water chemistry, etc, etc). Water flow is mentioned very often as an extreme need (min 10x turnover). Can anyone explain to this noob why this is?

Is it just as important in a FOWLR as a reef setup?

Thanks.

sir_dudeguy
07/29/2006, 06:48 PM
not sure if its as important in fowlr or not...but its important for corals...not exactly sure why, but i know that some need more, some need less..im pretty sure it has something to do w/getting food into them or something liek that..

marcsmith73
07/29/2006, 07:06 PM
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/6/aafeature2

Please read the link above. That will explain water flow.

Bluetooth
07/29/2006, 08:10 PM
Great article, thanks.

Can I assume from that article that high flow in a FOWLR is not all that important than?

ACBlinky
07/29/2006, 08:13 PM
It may not be as essential as in a reef, but I think a good amount of water movement is still important for FOWLR tanks. The more flow LR receives the better it will work from a bio-filtration standpoint. As well, dead spots in/behind rockwork can collect detritus and elevate nitrates; higher flow will keep a lot of the detritus in the water column so the skimmer can remove it.

sir_dudeguy
07/29/2006, 08:25 PM
gosh, completely forgot about the live rock lol. i dont know if that covered this, but if you have a hang on skimmer, flow should also help that i think...well it will help keep crap suspended, which in turn will be sucked in by the skimmer