PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Tail Cuke

The Saltwater Kid
07/29/2006, 10:07 PM
I just couldn't pull the trigger on buying one. I've read in three seperate books that these cukes need a 100 gallon tank as they can grow huge (over 18" in captivity...6ft in the wild) and that hermit crabs can harass them into releasing a toxin that can kill your fish and should be removed before adding this cuke to your tank. Maybe one book i would overlook and dismiss as being too conservative but three saying the same thing, makes red flags go up in my head and just wouldn't allow me to buy it :( .

affan
07/29/2006, 10:08 PM
Oh, okay. Thanks. So, I guess what you're saying is that you're not going to purchase a Tiger Tail Cuke?

six.line
07/29/2006, 10:09 PM
i have heard that the releasing of toxins is an overrated fear. as far as i know, you do need a bigger tank. 75 gallons can suffice.

reefnewbie54321
07/29/2006, 10:28 PM
I know alot of people dont like Ron Shimek on this site but when it comes to DSB or DSB critters/cleaners he knows his stuff. He reccomends Tiger Tail Cucumbers and reccomends atleast 3 sqaure feet of surface area per cucumber. Standard 29g is 2 1/2 square feet so you would be cutting in close.

RicksReefs
07/30/2006, 07:28 AM
Holothuria species cukes are perfectly fine for reef tanks. I've always had them in all my tanks for years, no problems. I even had one get a hole chewed through it's side from getting stuck on a powerhead. the following week, I had two smaller ones. toxicity on sand moppering cukes is waaay over rated.

Sir Crabby
07/30/2006, 07:44 AM
I have 2 smaller yellow cukes that come from the caribean and they are supposed to be safe and stay small. I've had them for over a year and they may have grown from 2'' to 2 1/2". Never had a problem with my hermit crabs either.

Hal
07/30/2006, 06:35 PM
I had a tigertail about the size of my finger die in my tank with no ill effects on the tank.