PDA

View Full Version : Randy's 2 part

rdnyva
07/30/2006, 06:03 AM
Just a few questions for the experts. I just started using Randy's 2 part Calcium/Alk Solutions. Here are my questions:

1. I've been adjusting dosage for about a week now. 4ML keeps the tank around 10.3 dkh. Is that too high?

2. I added Turbo Calc to get my calcium up to 420 before dosing 2 part (both parts), after dosing it is over 500. Should I just does ALK part until the calc comes down? Should I do anything to bring it down.

3. Although ALK is high, my PH is down. It fluctuates between 8.0 and 8.20 daily. What should I do to stabilize it?

4. I've read that you should not mix the 2 solutions together or use the same cup to dose. Why is this?

5. Do the solutions settle after a period of time? Should they be shaken to mix it up?

Thanks all for any help.

Billybeau1
07/30/2006, 08:21 AM
1. No that is not too high. 7-11 dkh is recommended

2. Probably dosed a little too much. Just stop dosing calcium and it will fall.

3. Low pH is normal this time of year CO2 in your home is likely suppressing the pH. More aeration with fresh air and limewater are two ways to get it back up although I wouldnt be too concernd if it stays between 8.0 and 8.2

4. Because the alk suppliment will percipitate the calcium out of solution causing a snowstorm

5. Cant answer that one as I have never used Randy's 2-part. But we'll get you an answer to that one.

jumpincactus
07/30/2006, 11:15 AM
You might also want to shhot for 9-9.5 Dkh for your alk levels as the preffered range is 7-11 as stated before. The reason I keep mine at 9 is it allows me more room to swing if something does go wrong. Right in the middle gives more wiggle room in either direction..............

Cant answer the Randys two part as I am just getting the chemicals to use it in my tank. I will follow along to get an answer also.