PDA

View Full Version : I am done with Remoras

mrkrispy
07/30/2006, 10:18 AM
I finally give up, I am tired of dealing with these skimmers. I have owned a Remora for a few years and it shouldn't be so difficult to do maintenance on one, much less have things break constantly.

1) I have gone thru 4 o rings for the collection cup - yes I have put the grease on them
2) 3 injector screws have worn out. This last one stripped the very first time I tried to remove it, and I had to drill the thing out. I must have hit the injector tube, because water squirts out. I can't replace the tube because it is glued in. So my skimmer is now useless.
3) The injector screw can fall in the injector tube, nearly impossible to get out.
4) The collection cup has a seam splitting apart I had to superglue so it wouldn't leak.

I am fed up with these skimmers. Pieces that break or wear out easily, parts you can't get from a vendor, parts that can't be removed for cleaning (which shouldn't have to be removed if the other parts weren't so poor), the noise, the bubbles. I can't imagine how displeased I would have been if AquaC customer service wasn't so good.

Hobster
07/30/2006, 10:25 AM
So, tell us how you really feel:)
Sorry to hear you have had so many problems. I have not had any with mine. If you call or write them, I am sure they will take care of any problems (o rings, cup etc) as you mentioned they do have great CS.

mrkrispy
07/30/2006, 10:32 AM
Yes they have always been good about replacing orings and the injector screws. That irritates me as well because my skimmer is only 2 years old or so and these parts have all worn out several times.
The collector cup is a bad design (hard corners for a round oring) and the injector screw is weak nylon plastic. The injector screw can easily fall in, but then it is really hard to get it out. You can't easily remove the tube to clean or get the screw out. Now my injector port is shot from trying to get the screw out (my own fault) so the skimmer is useless (unless I superglue the injector screw in, but then I will never be able to clean it again).

There have been so many problems that I don't want to use it any more, it isn't worth it.

Ti
07/30/2006, 01:21 PM
wow, never knew they were so problematic

plancton
07/30/2006, 01:48 PM
I can't get my injector screw out as well, and I am selling and getting an octopus nw100. The guy who is buying it will have to figer how to get the screw out. He was warned.

marw99
07/30/2006, 02:10 PM
Never had promblems with mine

Ironsheikh
07/30/2006, 02:16 PM
I was done w/ my remora pro within 30secs of hearing it run ...

mrkrispy
07/30/2006, 10:14 PM
at least they can be quieted with a paper towel. Too bad the maintenance isn't so easy.

geckofrog
07/31/2006, 08:58 AM
so what are you going to get to replace it?

Hobster
07/31/2006, 09:43 AM
I "solved" the o ring replacement problem. I now use plain old silicone airline tubing joined together with a barb fitting. Lasts a lot longer than rubber o rings. As to the noise, put a thick, square piece of filter floss padding over the injector . Tones it right down.

Buddyboy
07/31/2006, 09:45 AM
Well, i'm happy with the quality of the materials, but the performance just doesn't cut it for me. Maybe i'm not cleaning it out enough? I'm not sure. Only had it 6 months though. How often do you clean your Remora skimmer? How do you clean it?

Buddyboy
07/31/2006, 09:53 AM
Well, i'm happy with the quality of the materials, but the performance just doesn't cut it for me. Maybe i'm not cleaning it out enough? I'm not sure. Only had it 6 months though. How often do you clean your Remora skimmer? How do you clean it?

mrkrispy
07/31/2006, 10:14 AM
I found that cleaning the injector port every 4-6 months helped tremendously (turn off the maxijet first! haha). Cleaning the inside of the skimmer - the middle section - helps a lot, gunks builds up underneath the skimmmer cup.

I ordered a Tunze Nano DOC skimmer, will see how that compares. It uses less wattage, is easier to clean, so that is 2 pluses right there.

crumbletop
07/31/2006, 10:39 AM
My maintenance:

I empty and clean the cup every 3 days give or take.

Every 3 months I run my whole unit with vinegar water for 24 hours, and clean the injector with the cleaning brush.

I haven't had any problems and it pulls out a fair amount of gunk even though my bioload is pretty light.

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/303/303448/folders/232751/1924357DSCN2451.jpg

Jack

genvmunix
07/31/2006, 04:04 PM
The nylon screw in mine started to strip as I was doing maintenance over the weekend so I emailed them about it. They told me that they were informed by their manufacturer/supplier of the screw has informed them that the nylon being used for the screws will swell and make it difficult (impossible?) to remove. They are shipping me a new replacement screw made of something different and his suggestions for getting the old one out were one of letting the nylon dry out and the screw shrink back down, drilling it out, or sending them the unit and they will do it for me.

Just FYI...

Karl

mg426
07/31/2006, 04:46 PM
I have not ran into the stuck injector problem yet. My remora Pro works very well, Its running off a Mag 5 makes skimate every day. It dont like water changes as it shuts down for a couple hours then resumes skimmimg. Not the best skimmer in the world but far from the worst.