PDA

View Full Version : 12g Nano Cube dx rewired!

g4zoo
07/30/2006, 02:52 PM
I took the balast part of my lights over to my neighbor that is about the smartest guy i've ever met. He's the kind of guy that builds his own test meters for things, builds circuit boards etc. I asked him if he could come up with a way around the problem of using a timer with my nanocube. for those of you that don't know, if you use a timer for the one and only plug for the lights, when the lights go off, you can't use the moon lights. The moonlights and the day lights all use the same power plug. the only way to have the moon lights on and not the day lights is to have it plugged in and turn it off on the balast switch located on the balast (which I keep behind a desk).

My neighbor took it apart, and spliced in second power cord just for the moon lights. It works perfect. I could put the moon lights on a seporate timer now so they come on at night. He brought the second power cord out of a punch out so it looks almost identical to the way the main power cord comes out. Its such an easy thing.

parts we used:
wire nuts, 1 power cord (I used a computer power cord) and one rubber gromet.

If anyone wants instructions and pictures let me know I could take it back apart and get picturs and write up a little how-to.

beyondx4
08/01/2006, 04:32 AM
That would be nice if you could draw up a little how-to on the splicing of the circuit. I'm thinking about getting a 12g nano cube dx. It might make a very good DIY topic in the Nano-reef.com forum. Thx.

TriniReefer
08/01/2006, 11:26 PM
I would really love to hear ur diy please pm me and let me know how u did it

newhere
08/02/2006, 12:12 AM
I have been told they are going to have them on separate switches on the new models. Problem is I have a 12 and 24 gallon that need changed so Please post the DYI.