PDA

View Full Version : Check out this hitchhiker..havent heard anyone else having one

Slickdude
07/30/2006, 03:40 PM
Hey..Look at this little guy..when i first saw him I thought it was some kind of snail cause he was on the move but today when I came in I turned my lights on (they were off to help with my Diatom bloom) this little guy was opened up.... A CLAM!!!!! Please identify type for me..I will get a pic of him opened up when he does it again I got camera out and he got shy.

Thanks
Slickdude

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/130528mini-clam.jpg

Sk8r
07/30/2006, 03:45 PM
Feed him phyto. You may want to put a bottomless liter coke bottle in over it, shoot it full of phyto, and wait until the little guy has eaten significantly.

Slickdude
07/30/2006, 05:44 PM
Ok I called wife and had her "quarantine " him inside a modified water bottle cut off bottom and top. Now I am on nights at work.. long commute to wqork as well..where can i get this phyto at. Is it readily available at LFS? Petco, Petsmart??? This tank is 10 days old havent stocked up on food yet. If I cant get this phyto locally what can I do in the meantime to help the little bugger out?

Slickdude:bum:

Slickdude
07/30/2006, 10:06 PM
Cmon guys 88 views and no advice?? When I get up tomorrow I want to drive the hour and a half into town and gt what I need to keep this guy alive but you gotta help me out... give me something to go off of...

Slickdude :bum:

Sk8r
07/30/2006, 11:26 PM
Phytoplankton, refrigerated, is available at a good reef shop, or online from DT's and from www.reefnutrition.com Both are among our RC sponsors, and they ship. If you have any decent specialty reef shop they surely have it---I don't know about Petco or Petsmart.

It lasts a month or so.

cyenna
08/01/2006, 01:06 AM
I have a clam that kind of looks like yours. I don't have a picture of it but mine looks like the one found here (http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89787 ). I would leave it alone and it will probably move into a crevice somewhere, open up and filter feed your tank. I wouldn't bother with any sort of special supplement. :rollface:

louist
08/01/2006, 05:10 AM
I have 3 hitchhiking clams, 1 is not colorful by any measure, the other 2 have purple mentles. None required any feeding, and all 3 survive cycling. The purple ones only extend during the night.

papagimp
08/01/2006, 12:43 PM
all I got was a little ugly brown barnacle of sorts

angelsj247
08/01/2006, 01:52 PM
lol papagimp..
try buying your live rock from somwhere else.

mr pink floyd
08/01/2006, 06:50 PM
ohhh,i h ave a few of those, mine is white, hides i nshadow, opens at night, white mantle, kinda cool, but it looks like its pointy like a britsleworm

klondike4001
08/03/2006, 08:25 PM
I had one come in with a purple monti cap.

aclos3
08/04/2006, 05:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7855216#post7855216 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by louist
I have 3 hitchhiking clams, 1 is not colorful by any measure, the other 2 have purple mentles. None required any feeding, and all 3 survive cycling. The purple ones only extend during the night.

Ya, where do you get your LR? I love "bonuses!" ;)

louist
08/04/2006, 07:00 AM
I got mine from a LFS, the LR only arrived that morning. Boy, did the cycling rik! I had to take the rocks out and scrubb them down!

I just did a count, and I actually have 4 of those clams with purple mentle. They bore a hole in the LR and live inside. Have a look around your tank and perhaps you will spot a few too! My biggest one was inside my extremely dimly lit refugium for close to 2 month.