PDA

View Full Version : Simple sump

rmills
07/30/2006, 03:30 PM
In a thread earlier they were discusing putting a smaller tank inside a larger tank. Can this be that simple? Just put a tank 2/3 the size of the tank it is in. Have the water come from the display tank overflow skimmer box into the smaller tank set up with live rock like a refugum, and then overflow into the larger tank that it sits in, and then pump it into the main display tank. Will this work?

GROSSR
07/30/2006, 05:07 PM
My only concern is you might have areas of little to no flow. The walls of the smaller tank will act as baffles directling bubbles up to the top. However, the output of the display tank will dump into the smaller tank and it will have the most turbulance, so I don't think that would be a good place for a refugium. The refuge needs to be a controlled low flow environment.

Will it work, yea...I think it could be designed with some acrylic rather than a tank in a tank.

rich

sir_dudeguy
07/30/2006, 05:12 PM
ya i wouldnt do a fuge in it..(which i'm not lol) it will be way too much flow in there anyways...plus its not big enough...

the only reason i'm doing this is to TEST it...i already have all the stuff, besides the 5 bucks i spent on silicone, so if it works, i'll keep it, if not..i'll just buy some acylic for some baffles and do something w/that.