PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever own a Pentair Lifeguard Canister Filter?

fantastic4
07/30/2006, 05:18 PM
Just saw a Advanced Single Stage Kit on sale at LFS. Since I will be adding a UV, thought I just may give this a shot?

Anyone have opinions on the LifeGuard products?

looks cool tro be able to add modules as needed.

http://www.pentairaquatics.com/2005/2005_detail/AFK.htm

Reefologist
07/30/2006, 05:32 PM
I dont' own one but I have thought about buying one. I like the idea of the heater module and the ability to seperate different media in different modules. Add that to the amount of options for the plumbing and it seems to be a decent product. Good luck, let us know how it works out.happy reefkeeping...

fillibar
07/30/2006, 05:50 PM
I have a Triple Filter that is sitting unused. I also have the "carbon/chemical" canister (Triple) and the 900 Biological (moved to another tank setup). Not because it was bad or anything, just changed my filter setup. Overall it worked well.
Cons:
1) The second and third cartridge always seem to get stuck in the bottom, and require some "gentle" tapping and shaking to slide out.
2) Without a system to let the drain first before changing you run into a pretty messy spill, I would recommend valves on either side so you can close it off, and take it to a sink for changing.
Pros:
1) The filter is big (check the size to make sure it works for you), but with proper planning you can make a very modular, adaptable system.
2) The cartridges CAN be replaced with the general "house" filter variety. They are the same size. While they may not "do the job" as well, they are FAR cheaper and can be disposed versus trying to clean the regular ones.

I am still trying to come up with a use for the two sitting unused. On a side note, I found a bargain home improvement place with many whole house filters for ~$8 each. I was able to pick up a bunch, and filters for them, and replumbed a tank to use those instead.

fantastic4
07/30/2006, 11:15 PM
thank you