PDA

View Full Version : flower pot coral ?

Ehgemus
07/30/2006, 06:47 PM
Does anyone have trouble with there flower pot coral falling off the rock that it is sitting on? Mine does all the time and it is ****ing me off! :mad2: I tried moving it around to different spots and still the same thing, tried putting it on a curved rock and still the same thing.
what I have found out is the flower pot is blowing up like a bubble and floats and little bit and the water flow slowly moves it off the rock. Is this normal:mad2:

zarro
07/30/2006, 09:32 PM
never had that happen to mine . it must not like where it is.
ive hered of plate coral doing this.

PatMayo
07/30/2006, 10:30 PM
I think a lot of those types of corals like to be on a sandbed. I would try that and see if you don't have better luck. Those corals are very difficult to keep. I don't think you want it falling any at all if you can help it. Once they get sick it's very difficult to save them.

You might want to try it on the sandbed.

Regards,

Pat

waterfaller1
07/31/2006, 04:54 AM
Goniopora and similar corals that inflate{plates..open brains} should be on the sandbed. Place the goniopora on a flat rock or similar, nestled into the sandbed. Just to lift it ever so slightly above the substrate/ to keep the sandbed from eroding the tissue at the base. Do not touch the flesh with your hands.

John Kelly
07/31/2006, 07:11 AM
The falling/blowing off of the rock is normal, but definitely not good. Some species do inflate to the point where the coral becomes very lightweight and can blow around or tumble easily. Even if it is placed on the sandbed it can scoot or roll. Does it have an attachment scar on the bottom; like an area where it has been cut from a substrate? If it does, use some epoxy putty and (carefully) fix it to a larger rock down low in a lower flow area. Be careful not to mash or damage any tissue when handling it.