PDA

View Full Version : What Tang is a compatible roomate for a Frogfish

surg_xero
07/31/2006, 11:58 AM
Does anyone have any reccomendations of what species of Tang, SurgeonFish, or Uni-CornFish would be compatible or deffinately not compatible with a frogfish. My three favorites are the Brow Tang, Red Sea Sailfin Tang, and Chevron Tang(Uni-CornFish).

Thanks,
Steve

Travis L. Stevens
07/31/2006, 12:15 PM
I would venture to say that anything that doesn't fit in its mouth would be fine. I don't see Acanthuridae picking on frogfish specifically

Kahuna Tuna
07/31/2006, 03:04 PM
Aren't all of those reef picking fish like tangs, angels, triggers supposed to be bad to keep with frogfish? I thought I had heard these fish may peck at the frogs. I have never kept a frogfish but I have read you really have to be careful choosing tankmates, I know Scott Michael recommends a species tank for them. HTH

Wolverine
07/31/2006, 08:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7851417#post7851417 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kahuna Tuna
Aren't all of those reef picking fish like tangs, angels, triggers supposed to be bad to keep with frogfish? I thought I had heard these fish may peck at the frogs. I have never kept a frogfish but I have read you really have to be careful choosing tankmates, I know Scott Michael recommends a species tank for them. HTH

Yes, they are bad to keep with frogfish. They tend to graze on things, and that includes the frogfish. There's a downside to good camouflage and fitting into the substrate well.

Dave

Kahuna Tuna
07/31/2006, 11:13 PM
Thanks Dave, that's good to know.

Confooseld
07/31/2006, 11:53 PM
Not to mention if you have the tang in a proper sized tank how can you target feed the frogfish?

surg_xero
08/01/2006, 07:04 AM
Any ideas for a micro and or macro algae grazing fish or snails that would be suitable witha frogfish?

thor32766
08/01/2006, 10:16 AM
yeah what size tank would this be going in?

ClamIAm
08/01/2006, 11:31 AM
Any snails or hermit crabs should be fine with frogfish, I've never seen one try to eat anything protected by a hard shell.

snorvich
08/02/2006, 04:50 AM
A frogfish can expand his mouth to two or more times what you think it can and will ingest a fish that is almost as large as it is. This is not always good for the frogfish as they are stupid and will over consume making their last meal a fatal one. ( I have watched this behavior in the wild.) If you are for sure getting a frogfish, don't put other fish in the tank or they will become lunch. One of the more interesting varieties is the hairy frog fish coming out of Sulawesi Indonesia.

surg_xero
08/02/2006, 12:25 PM
The tank dimensions are 24x36x21.