PDA

View Full Version : shells for hermits?

everl0ng
08/01/2006, 08:25 AM
where can you get extra shells for hermit crabs? i have 2 so far in my 20 gallon, but i want some extra shells for theem to grow into! and do i put them all in one certain spot, or should i scatter them around the tank? thank you in advance!!
:D

jbrunken
08/01/2006, 08:37 AM
Wal-Mart, Hobby Lobby (or any craft shop). It will cost you about $2 for a whole load of them.

Just pick out the ones that look like they'd make good hermit homes and boil them (the shells, not the hermits :) ) before you put them in the tank.

-JB

Konadog
08/01/2006, 08:38 AM
Check out your LFS and see if they have any dead snail shells. Sometimes they have a bucket full of them and will let you pick thru for a few of them, or even just give you a handful.

DannyXL
08/01/2006, 08:50 AM
yep, what Kona said. You won't get PRETTY shells, but they ususally will just give you a handfull for free. If you wanna pay a few bucks you can get the prettier ones, but to me why spend 2 or 3 bucks when you don't have to. And it's a hoot when you dump all those shells in the tank, ITS MOVING DAY! Never seen such picky crabs before, they sure take their time in examining their new homes.

jbrunken
08/01/2006, 08:59 AM
LOL... I agree the entertainment value of putting a bunch of new shells in the tank can be pretty high...

-JB

everl0ng
08/01/2006, 09:02 AM
thanks a lot! i work at a LFS so i will see if they will let me have some. i never thought of asking because corporate is sooooo stingy and greedy haha.

Andrew
08/01/2006, 09:06 AM
What pet store do you work at?

Sk8r
08/01/2006, 09:42 AM
And try to match the species of shell they're already using. Dwarf bluelegs prefer ceriths, at least mine do, and scarlets aspire to a fighting conch shell when they get big enough.