PDA

View Full Version : Foxface minimum tank size

swoop_ds
08/01/2006, 08:56 AM
Hello everyone,
I'm thinking of getting a foxface (s. vulpinus variety) and wondering if they would be okay in my 55 gallon? Liveaquaria.com says a 70 gallon but I have a 'lot' of macro algae for the foxface to eat so I don't think he'd run out of things to graze on. Any help would be appreciated!
-Dave

Questin
08/01/2006, 09:31 AM
I have taken care of a few tanks around 55 that had a foxface. But they were fish only and not Reefs. Agressive tanks.

jakaufman
08/01/2006, 09:32 AM
the size recommendation, as far as i know, is not for food but for the swimming room

if you get it small im sure you could keep it for awhile before it got too large for the tank

wetWolger
08/01/2006, 10:14 AM
i think most recomend a 70gal....although in my experince these guys can get really big. I personally would not put mine in any smaller tank than what he is in now (120gal).

ricks
08/01/2006, 10:26 AM
Mines in a 500 gallon and has grown to 8". These fish can get large, and are very messy.

swoop_ds
08/01/2006, 11:18 AM
Thanks guys, I might still get him with the intention of either upgrading my setup or possibility of trading back to the LFS if he gets too big.
-Dave

ricks
08/01/2006, 11:29 AM
Once a fish is in my tank. There's no way to remove him.... I guess you would say there in for life...

Sk8r
08/01/2006, 11:31 AM
I did it with a scribbled rabbit, a close relative, and no, they are a nervous, jumpy fish that is worse in a small space. I had to take mine out, for his own sake. A fish's brain is wired to the space requirements of his adult size, and at 10 inches adult, a 55 just was too small for him to be comfortable or to feel safe. Besides that, he started nipping corals.

If you need algae eaten, go for the red and white hairy pincushion urchin. They're way easier to catch, and are amazingly good at dodging corals.

swoop_ds
08/01/2006, 02:21 PM
Do you know the scientific name of the above mentioned pincushion urchin? Do they eat grape caulerpa? That's the algae that I need dispatched. . . I currently have a common urchin of the Tripneustes species but he mostly eats film algae and coralline. And I don't need something else eating my coralline. Also, do emerald crabs eat grape caulerpa?? Thanks,
-Dave