PDA

View Full Version : Are the drop in chillers awesome?

fantastic4
08/01/2006, 09:52 AM
Just started looking into chillers and saw this new technology. It looks so EASY!!!

Just thought I would ask if this technique really works well?

If worth while, any suggestions on makes and models?

jhorricks
08/01/2006, 09:58 AM
From experience with both I prefer the simplicity and efficiency of the drop in chillers.

Fiziksgeek
08/01/2006, 10:20 AM
I dont think drop in chillers are new.

They are more efficient because you don't need an extra pump to supply them with water. The extra pump uses more electricity and can add a touch of extra heat.

The downside is that you have to place them close to the tank to get the coil into your sump. So the heat gets dumped into the room very close to the tank. This isnt ideal.

seattlerob
08/01/2006, 11:42 AM
I recently purchased a chiller, and compared drop-ins vs inline. Fiziksgeek's point about the drop-in having to be close to the sump is one of the main points that lead me to inline. I believe most drop-ins the coil only has about 6 feet or so of line from the compressor. With an inline, I'm able to route from my return pump through the chiller (avoiding a separate pump) and then back to the tank. I currently have my inline about 20-25 feet away from my tank, and the reason I did this was to get the chiller next to a window so the heat could vent outside.

Also, I believe in general the drop-ins are a bit more expensive.

IsaaX
08/01/2006, 01:57 PM
The drop ins aren't new technology. I've been using a 1/5hp drop in for a little over 6 yrs now and it's still running strong. I'm the second owner of the chiller and the manufacture date was in 1993 which makes it 13 yrs old. The Tecumseh compressor that it uses proves to be very reliable.

I've never had issues with the chiller generating heat around the tank as the chiller sits on the side of the stand blowing the exhaust out of the front. Having it blow to the rear of the tank or inside the stand would be a diff story though.

skylar
08/01/2006, 04:40 PM
I have a drop in and the ONLY draw back is the fact it does heat the room. An in line would do the exact same thing if was placed anywhere inside the tank room. So if your chiller is going to be in the same room the drop in is easier and just as efficient. IF you can plumb it to a garage, basement, or outside go in-line.

To avoid the heat issue I have a bathroom fan attached to the back of my chiller which exhausts out of a dryer vent in the wall, so all the heat actually goes outside. This is not a practical modification for most - my wife was extremely upset when I cut a hole in the wall of the house, but it works great.

golfish
08/01/2006, 04:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7856574#post7856574 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fiziksgeek

They are more efficient because you don't need an extra pump to supply them with water. The extra pump uses more electricity and can add a touch of extra heat.

Why do you need an extra pump for an inline chiller:confused: I've been using an inline chiller for 5 years, I've never had to buy an extra pump for it.

twon8
08/01/2006, 06:04 PM
you need water flowing through it, which may not mean an extra pump, but it at least means a more powerful one.

Fiziksgeek
08/01/2006, 06:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7859342#post7859342 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by golfish
Why do you need an extra pump for an inline chiller:confused: I've been using an inline chiller for 5 years, I've never had to buy an extra pump for it.

Well yes, I stand corrected, you dont necessarily need an additional pump

golfish
08/02/2006, 09:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7859736#post7859736 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by twon8
you need water flowing through it, which may not mean an extra pump, but it at least means a more powerful one.

come on guys, your misleading people by saying you need an extra pump or larger pump. My last setup used a Mag 12 for return (150 gal tank , 40 gal sump) when I finally added a chiller it sat out on the front pourch and did just fine with no pump change. I'm now using an Amp Master 3000 (anybody know the wattage diff between the Mag and AM?) to pump out to the garage where the chillers at.. I agree that in some cases a bigger pump might be needed but we all know, or should know by now that sump return isn't about getting a lot of flow.

Fiziksgeek
08/03/2006, 05:40 AM
Its not misleading at all IMO. To run the chiller efficiently you need to have a flow rate within the manufacturers recommendations. Most likely, your return pump was chosen without the thought of having to run extra equipment. This either means an additional pump, or a new pump which can maintain the necessary flow rate. Unless you just get lucky, and your existing pump will do the job.

Also, the amp master draws 60 watts more then the mag 12.

Drop in chillers are a bit more efficient on this point, but of course they have their own draw backs. I.E. you can place them in a remote location, and you have a coil taking up sump space.