PDA

View Full Version : Shielding Question

sdesi2005
08/01/2006, 02:05 PM
I just purchased (2) ROIII with the BlueWave VII dual HQI ballast. I used Sanjay's website to plot the difference between using this type of bulb/ballast combo in both a shielded and unshielded applications.

The plots for the two options had very different outputs. It seems as though you lose significant output (I have heard in the vicinity of 6-8% through the tempered glass shield provided with these fixtures. I have also read about the possiblity of changing to Starfire glass instead ( I heard the loss is reduced to <2%). Does anyone have any experience with this? Does Starfire glass provide the UV qualities of regular tempered glass?

I would love to run these reflectors without the glass but, salt buildup ruins the reflective qualities of the aluminum.

sdesi2005
08/02/2006, 07:12 AM
I guess this should have been directed directly to Sanjay

samsfishnchips
08/02/2006, 07:54 AM
sdesi2005,

try a search when possible, there have been a few people that have change the glass pieces to either starfire glass, low iron glass, ec.

but without a good meter how are we going to now that is really <2% ect.

the shield should be used at all times because without it, there won't be no UV shield , which will affect negatively the corals and is harm to you too.

it would be nice an article with a test of different glass pieces, but I haven't seem one, maybe a next one for Sanjay,

and to my knowledge I seem to recall that most, if not all glass will provide the UV protection, they just use tempered on the units to help with more breaking protection, not 100% sure though,

anyway good luck with your choice,

sam