PDA

View Full Version : dimensions of sump?

scarpenter
08/01/2006, 05:57 PM
I have a 110 gallon tank that I will be converting from a freshwater to a salt FWOLR. I calculate I will need atleast a 7-9x turnover since down the road I will probably add corals. I will be building a cabinet next to the tank in order to house a sump and protein skimmer. The tank sits up 36" high in the middle of a large room in order to see through it, but provides a devide. Anyway, I wonder what kind of dimensions I am looking at for a sump?

scarpenter
08/01/2006, 05:57 PM
I have a 110 gallon tank that I will be converting from a freshwater to a salt FWOLR. I calculate I will need atleast a 7-9x turnover since down the road I will probably add corals. I will be building a cabinet next to the tank in order to house a sump and protein skimmer. The tank sits up 36" high in the middle of a large room in order to see through it, but provides a devide. Anyway, I wonder what kind of dimensions I am looking at for a sump?

bertoni
08/01/2006, 06:11 PM
A lot depends on whether you want a refugium in the sump or not, and which protein skimmer (if any) you intend to use. The sump really only needs enough room for the skimmer, some baffles, and the return pump.

scarpenter
08/01/2006, 06:30 PM
as far as the skimmer I was told by a friend to get a corallife that will handle a 125 Gal.

bertoni
08/01/2006, 08:53 PM
Well, if the stand is big enough, I guess I'd target about a 30g sump. What space restrictions do you have?

scarpenter
08/01/2006, 10:15 PM
no real restrictions....I found a sump on Drs. foster & smith for my size tank. I will build my cabinet with the dimensions from the sump on Drs. in mind.