PDA

View Full Version : Cleaner Wrasse

one24fan
08/01/2006, 07:45 PM
Is it neccessary to quarentine a cleaner wrasse?

bertoni
08/01/2006, 07:53 PM
Yes, they can have diseases just like any other fish.

Avi
08/01/2006, 08:00 PM
Did you buy it yet?

one24fan
08/01/2006, 08:28 PM
Actually, the neighbor just bought 2 and a spottedd mandarin fish. As a nice gesture. Didn't know she was going to do that. So now I need to figure out what to do. Got any suggestions???????

one24fan
08/01/2006, 08:28 PM
I have them in a quarantine tank right now. All 3 fish

bertoni
08/01/2006, 08:47 PM
Many or all of the cleaner wrasses are hard to impossible to keep alive. What kind do you have?

one24fan
08/01/2006, 08:51 PM
bluestreak cleaner wrasse

sarduci
08/01/2006, 08:54 PM
All three need QT, preferably separate if they were in separate systems (they all three could have something different).

Don't dose copper in the mandarin tank, it'll kill the fish (technically, smother in it's own slime coat).

If I were you, I'd ask where she got them from and tell her that you are not able to take proper care of these fish right now, but appreciate the gift.

One cleaner is hard enough to keep alive, most only eat specific parasites from what I've read. Two of them and you'll more than likely end up with both floating upside down due to starvation.

bertoni
08/01/2006, 08:59 PM
Those wrasses will take other foods, I think, so they might be okay. I'll do some more research.

one24fan
08/01/2006, 09:04 PM
thanks bertoni. i'll do the same. i did look in the "pocket guide to marine fishes book" and it said they may eat meaty foods such as frozen brine shrimp. any more input would be appreciated very much

yoboyjdizz
08/01/2006, 10:02 PM
They will take prepared food frozen brine and flakes but still can be eating well then end up dead later on... Large tank with lots of fish gives you your best chance...

bertoni
08/02/2006, 01:14 AM
I would take at least one back. That way, they won't be competing for food with each other. Actually, the mandarin will compete as well. Altogether, not the best choice of fishes by your neighbor.

dendro982
08/04/2006, 10:25 PM
I have this cleaner wrasse for a half of year:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g78/dendro982/Mar_wrasse.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g78/dendro982/Jul30_06wrasse.jpg

It looks good, fun to watch and it's supposed to be helpful in cleaning fish, but: mine became the harasser of the tank, as fastest fish, it's constantly pinched larger slower fish from the back, driving them crazy, and I had impression that it tried to kill tasseled filefish. From filefish and lionfish reactions it looks like it was very painful. BTW, I checked, this is true cleaner wrasse, not false that eats fish alive.
No problem with small percula clown - who knows why.
To remove wrasse from main tank, I had to remove all aquascaping and hardware - that was nightmare to catch it. Now he is jailed in 6 gal Nano-cube with a strong flow, already for few month. Jumper, jumps in the flow, like minnows.

One thing is good - no problem with feeding. Usual grocery sea mix, shrimp or salmon, small pieces (salmon is particularly easy to tear off), less than 1/8"- 3mm, keeping in needlenosed tweezers, wrasse tears pieces off. Prefers to be fed 2-3 times daily in small quantities. He also controls isopods in my Nano-cube, that eated my corals and other sessile invertebrates alive. Before removing from the main tank, wrasse had luxurious dinner service: tasseled filefish spitted pulverized food into the tank and wrasse picked the best pieces, everyone was happy until domination issues started.

Here is feeding system:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g78/dendro982/food_18Mar06.jpg