PDA

View Full Version : Reeflux bulbs ringing

Hal
08/02/2006, 11:10 AM
I've recently switched over from Ushios to Reeflux bulbs (250W, SE, 10K). The new Reeflux bulbs "ring" at a rather high pitch. It sounds like metal vibrating on the glass bulb at a high frequency. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's enough to be quite unpleasant.

Sometimes opening and closing the hood is enough to make the "ringing" temporarily stop for several minutes. It doesn't seem to matter whether the bulb is just fired or has been on for some time.

I tried changing the rotational position of the bulb. It didn't seem to make much difference. Finally I exchanged the bulbs for 2 new Reeflux bulbs. Sadly, the new ones ring too, although a little less. :mad2:

Has anyone else had this problem?

LobsterOfJustice
08/02/2006, 11:31 AM
At least yours fire. After running mine for two weeks they would not turn on unless I unscrewed them and then put them back in.

1package
08/02/2006, 12:04 PM
At least you were able to exchange yours The Reefstop and Coralvue are acting like a $55 bulb that will not come on is going to break them.

Mine would not fire, and tell me that I do not have the "perferred" ballast, not that it is required but the one the bulb works best with..........although they do not advertise it.

I have been running 250W 10k Reeflux bulbs with no issue (such as performance or ringing). If someone does not do the right thing with my new 400w Reeflux, I am finished with them and The Reef Stop.

Hal
08/03/2006, 09:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7864176#post7864176 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 1package

Mine would not fire, and tell me that I do not have the "perferred" ballast, not that it is required but the one the bulb works best with..........although they do not advertise it.

I'm running Icecap ballasts, if it matters.

tangwang
08/03/2006, 10:44 AM
Hal, how old is are the Icecaps you are running. Maybe try and contact Icecap and see if they may have some technical input as to the ringing problem. I've got 3 RL 12k's running on 2-year old IC 250's, and I don't get any ringing, but have not tried 400w RL12k's..

Matt

Hal
08/04/2006, 10:39 AM
My Icecaps are 3 years old (old style, would need to be converted to run Iwasaki's). I'm not thinking they're the issue though, because I didn't have this problem with my Ushios. Do you think otherwise?

mattseattle
08/04/2006, 10:50 AM
I'm running the new model Icecaps 250w with Reeflux 10k's and no ringing in my bulbs.

Hal
09/01/2006, 06:38 AM
has anyone besides me had this problem?

RockyMtnReef
09/01/2006, 08:06 AM
I have the 400W 20K's running on Coralvue electronic ballasts. No noise and they fire every time no problem.

dc
09/01/2006, 08:28 AM
I've had mine for several months now. No problems so far. I have a CSL light fixture.

Danieltank
12/25/2008, 05:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7863813#post7863813 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hal
I've recently switched over from Ushios to Reeflux bulbs (250W, SE, 10K). The new Reeflux bulbs "ring" at a rather high pitch. It sounds like metal vibrating on the glass bulb at a high frequency. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's enough to be quite unpleasant.

Sometimes opening and closing the hood is enough to make the "ringing" temporarily stop for several minutes. It doesn't seem to matter whether the bulb is just fired or has been on for some time.

I tried changing the rotational position of the bulb. It didn't seem to make much difference. Finally I exchanged the bulbs for 2 new Reeflux bulbs. Sadly, the new ones ring too, although a little less. :mad2:

Has anyone else had this problem?

Just found this old thread and thaught that I would bringing it up again.
I have the exact same problem with the ringing from my Reeflux bulb and the noise is unbarable!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds like the thin glass cylindre inside the bulb is vibrating...
have tried 4 different bulbs (all reeflux though) without luck.

have now ordered a new coralvue ballast (same as the one I'm using now) to see if that can fix the problem. If not I will just return it.

How did you manage to get rid of the ringing from your bulb???