PDA

View Full Version : Liquid ca/mg/alk supplementation?

crypticghost
08/02/2006, 11:19 AM
I was told to put this in here...

I am curious what company has the best stuff to dose ca/mg/alk into a tank? I do not want to do Randy's 2-part. I want to simply just buy something that I can add into the tank that is premade for me...so what do I need and what company should I go with?

Thank you for any help.

bertoni
08/02/2006, 11:21 AM
There are lots of good products. I have used B-Ionic for years. C-Balance and Kent Tech CB also seem to work well.

Spuds725
08/02/2006, 01:40 PM
Ditto all those-- just realize if you find you are supplementing alot that it gets pricey-- hence the move to Randy's recipes which work perfectly fine and literally can be made quicker then a trip to the LFS---

As always-- don't dose anything you don't test for--- its very important that you know where you are and where you are going--- even with the store bought supplements.... they are NOT any safer if that is the reason you don't want to use Randy's "three part"...

What is the reason if you don't mind me asking???

Also the dosing calculator will take several brands/types of supplements including Randys.... very handy tool if your levels get off. So you might want to pick a brand that is listed in the calculator.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

crypticghost
08/02/2006, 02:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7864897#post7864897 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Spuds725
Ditto all those-- just realize if you find you are supplementing alot that it gets pricey-- hence the move to Randy's recipes which work perfectly fine and literally can be made quicker then a trip to the LFS---

As always-- don't dose anything you don't test for--- its very important that you know where you are and where you are going--- even with the store bought supplements.... they are NOT any safer if that is the reason you don't want to use Randy's "three part"...

What is the reason if you don't mind me asking???

Also the dosing calculator will take several brands/types of supplements including Randys.... very handy tool if your levels get off. So you might want to pick a brand that is listed in the calculator.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

I just have a 50gal tank, so I will not be using alot...it is not like have 150gal tank. I just do not want to have to make or mix anything...Consider it plug and play :)

vincent843
08/02/2006, 07:36 PM
Hello everyone, I am new to this.
1-In Randy's 2part section how to dose- table1 , Does it apply to both recipe #1 part Cal and recipe#1 part Alk, and dose evryday?
2- the home.comcast.net /~jedieck1 caculator, Does it apply for Randy's formula and also caculate daily?

Thanks.

jdieck
08/02/2006, 09:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7867410#post7867410 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vincent843
Hello everyone, I am new to this.
1-In Randy's 2part section how to dose- table1 , Does it apply to both recipe #1 part Cal and recipe#1 part Alk, and dose evryday?
2- the home.comcast.net /~jedieck1 caculator, Does it apply for Randy's formula and also caculate daily?

Thanks.

The calculator mainly help when you want to make and adjustment... say increase alkalinity from X to Y or Calcium or Magnesium.
Having said that the calculator can also help you to calculate the daily addition if you know your daily consumption.
Say you know that your aquarium consumes 0.5 dKh of alkalinity per day. Use the calculator to figure out that amount by selecting your tank alkalinity as the initial reading and your tank alkalinity plus the 0.5 dKh as the target slect your product and that will be the amount you need to add in a day to maintain the initial reading.
If you do not know your daily consumption you can determine that by testing your alkalinity, stopping all suplementation for 48 hours and test again. divide the amount of drop by 2 and that is your daily alkalinity consumption.

Add your calculated amount of the two part alkalinity and an equal amount of the two part calcium. You do not need to calculate your Calcium consumption as it is usually consumed in the same ratio as the two part additive compensate, that is 20 ppm of Calcium get consumed for each 1 meq/lt (2.8 dKh) of alkalinity.

vincent843
08/03/2006, 12:19 AM
Thanks jdieck.:confused: Better go do some practice and came bachy to read your reply again. Vincent

jdieck
08/03/2006, 01:27 AM
Let me know if needed I can try to explain better.

The table metions recomended addition of each one of them, say for every 1 ml of calcium part you add 1 ml of alkalinity part.
Note that those are generic recomendations for an initial start and those volumes need to be adjusted by testing frequently and increase or decrease as needed to match your consumption, All aquariums consume at diferent rates that is why it is important to try to determine your consumption and use the claulcator or continue adjusting the supplement volume by trial and error until you find the volume that keeps your Calcium and Alkalinity at a constant level.

Enjoy!

vincent843
08/03/2006, 01:01 PM
Thanks jdieck. vincent