PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Joe's Juice?

Nano_reeflover
08/02/2006, 01:21 PM
I've got some aiptasia and I want them GONE:blown: Does anyone have a recipe for homemade aiptasia killer? I dont have anything for making kalkwasser or I'd make a paste. Oh and I will also be getting some peppermint shrimp.

Travis L. Stevens
08/02/2006, 01:41 PM
Vinegar. It only takes a little but injected into the Aiptasia.

Nano_reeflover
08/02/2006, 02:02 PM
Thanks I'll give it a try.

ADA33
08/02/2006, 02:04 PM
Is there any special brand of vinigar that you need to use and if you dose to many aptasia can you get ill effects in the water?

Nano_reeflover
08/02/2006, 02:08 PM
I assume white vinegar? I forgot to ask if this would work on majanos and hydroids as well.

Travis L. Stevens
08/02/2006, 02:13 PM
I just use distilled vinegar from the grocery store. Yes, it kills majanos anemones. I've tried it on Digitate Hydroids with success, but not with colonial hydroids, though I would guess that it works if you could actually inject it. I wouldn't go crazy with vinegar because it could have ill effects on Calcium and Alkalinity. But, I've been using it for 1.5 years with no direct problems. Just zap a couple and call it good for the day. Then come back after a while and zap a few more. If you can, take the rock out, inject it, and then quickly rinse with saltwater into a bucket or bowl to get excess vinegar off.

Nano_reeflover
08/02/2006, 03:02 PM
Wow! I just did it and the aiptasia turned to mush! Now the amphipods are eating it.

itstheantitang
08/02/2006, 03:21 PM
I used kalk paste delicately near a zoa patch, sucked it away with a baster, and a bristleworm came out of the zoa patch and munched away on the dead aiptasia. (Kind of like your amphipods)