PDA

View Full Version : The dumbest thing I did as a newbie...

2fishy
08/02/2006, 02:29 PM
Well, I really managed to do a dumb newbie addition to my aquarium and added a tail spot blenny and a green mandarin to my aquarium that has a pygmy cherub angelfish in it. OMG, the angelfish went psycho on me!:eek2:

I felt so stupid! Anyway, here is my aquarium as of last Thursday.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g110/2fishy_2006/100_0481.jpg

You know, I really didn't like that aquascaping anyway. I am terrible at aquascaping! So, after trying to place a couple fish nets on either side of the center section, trying to throw the angelfish off, and then realizing by Friday morning, that it only worked for a short time before the angel blew off the nets, I took off the lights and totally dismantled my live rock, created a huge sand storm in the aquarium (not by choice), and totally staggered the live rock in a last ditch effort to confuse the angel and give the new fish a chance. I knew I didn't have a chance to catch him, he is way too quick!:mad2:

So, how do you like my aquascaping now?

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g110/2fishy_2006/100_0537.jpg

Oh, and for the new fish, I called home from work on my break on Saturday, and my husband told me that the fish were getting along great. I didn't really believe him and by the time I get home the lights are off and the fish are sleeping. I work weekends only so I didn't get to see the aquarium lit up again until Monday, and sure enough the angel has made nice with all of the fish!:rollface:
Actually, I think the cardinal got sick of all the fuss in the aquarium, because I have seen him give a short chase to the angel a couple of times!:D

Andrew
08/02/2006, 02:32 PM
Looks good but add some more rock. A black or blue background would also look better.

2fishy
08/02/2006, 02:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7865285#post7865285 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Andrew
Looks good but add some more rock. A black or blue background would also look better.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about more rock! As for the back, I have a brand new roll of black window tint waiting to be put on. Its static. How cool is that! My only concern is I probably can't use the algae magnet over it.

Andrew
08/02/2006, 02:38 PM
If it doesn't work out then you could always paint it.

2fishy
08/02/2006, 02:49 PM
That's always an option. So, I also figured out another reason why I should leave the sargassum in the aquarium.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g110/2fishy_2006/100_0500.jpg

The tailspot blenny loves to hang out in it!:D
And so do the pods!

2fishy
08/02/2006, 02:55 PM
Does anyone know if having a protein skimmer has a negative effect on pods in the aquarium? Also, I have seen people are running their filters without media in their filters just for water flow. Any opinions on pulling filter pads from a power filter and adding live rock rubble to the filter, in a media bag, of course?

Andrew
08/02/2006, 02:59 PM
Skimmers aren't going to effect pods unless one finds it's way into the pump impeller. Some people use their hang on powerfilters for fuges but adding liverock will work but pretty much pointless. You won't have that much more flow and it would just be burning up watts. I myself have a small powerfilter in my qt and I just put a handfull of filter floss in it.

Sk8r
08/02/2006, 03:00 PM
Protein skimmer, no. I run cheato in my sump to breed pods. Protein skimmer is in the next chamber, then the return pump. They survive all of it. So does the occasional amphipod, which is much bigger....

What worries me is that pods breed where rock meets the sand, and in the shallow sand layer where there's a lot of dirt, and that tank is way clean. Feed phyto religiously, and if that doesn't sustain the population, go to www.reefnutrition.com to sustain that mandarin.

My experience is that the angel is going to freak every time you add a fish. Do it when the lights are out, and every time there's a fight, turn the lights out. That helps a bit.

2fishy
08/02/2006, 03:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7865525#post7865525 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r
Protein skimmer, no. I run cheato in my sump to breed pods. Protein skimmer is in the next chamber, then the return pump. They survive all of it. So does the occasional amphipod, which is much bigger....

What worries me is that pods breed where rock meets the sand, and in the shallow sand layer where there's a lot of dirt, and that tank is way clean. Feed phyto religiously, and if that doesn't sustain the population, go to www.reefnutrition.com to sustain that mandarin.

My experience is that the angel is going to freak every time you add a fish. Do it when the lights are out, and every time there's a fight, turn the lights out. That helps a bit.

I remember talking to someone one time and they also said that they will cover their aquarium to block out all light when they have trouble with fish, so I had a blanket ready to go. But I figured that will happen. What a bummer! He really is pretty, and becoming a pretty pain in the rear!:lol:

Okay, as far as the phyto that everyone is talking about, do you mean something like PhytoPlex by Kent Marine, or do you live phyto? Oh, and when I have been feeding I shut down the powerfilter and center pump for awhile. I swear the mandarin was eating a piece of mysis or brine shrimp this morning. Yeah!

Sk8r
08/02/2006, 03:27 PM
If you can get the mandarin to eat mysis, great---brine is a good sign of his willingness to eat a diverse diet, but it won't sustain him by itself. The pods are his natural food. If you can get him to eat a variety of other foods, he'll be in great shape. Congrats!

I use phytoplankton from both DT's Plankton Farm and Reef Nutrition, both of which are in our sponsors list.

The phyto feeds my sponges, crocea clam, and the dusters, plus the pods and amphipods. I feed it daily, and the sponges are doing very well. I think it's an often neglected aspect of tank-feeding: the small life does sustain itself on waste and random algae growth alone, but feeding phyto means a steady food supply, and a really stable invertebrate base sustaining and protecting corals and fish alike. I encourage bristleworms, pods of all sorts, sponge, and various spionid worms, and have a pretty messy tank by some standards [my sand is not immaculate] but I can go off and leave it for a day or so without worrying about someone having to feed the fish. They make do off pods and algae, and the mandarin is getting fat.