PDA

View Full Version : Minor cooling problem

reef_dude76
08/02/2006, 03:59 PM
I am trying to figure out a way to cool my sump. I have a 180 gallon tank that I just setup, and the stand is completely enclosed with the exception of two 2 1/2" holes I cut in the back for power cords. The temp of the tank about 81-82 degrees and when ever I open the doors of the stand you can feel the heat and humidity hit you in the face. I am trying to figure out what to do about this.

I was thinking of installing two 4 1/2 " fans into one side of the canopy to pull the hot humid air out and use the holes I have cut to allow cooler air in. Any other thoughts about how to fix this problem?

I also thought about cutting more vent holes in the back of the stand, but with the tank setup now, I can't reach the back and it would likely get saw dust in my sump water making it necessary to tear the whole tank down and move it. And I'm not sure that would solve the issue anyway, it seems that what I need is air circulation.

reef_dude76
08/02/2006, 04:00 PM
I stated that I would be installing the fans in the canopy, I meant that I would be installing them in the side of the stand.

wlagarde
08/02/2006, 04:28 PM
Wat lighting do you have in the canopy? Halides? You should really ventilate the caopy...

reef_dude76
08/02/2006, 04:44 PM
I have three 250W halides and 2 140W VHO's. The canopy is already vented with four fans, two blowing air in and two blowing air out. The back of the canopy is open to allow heat dissapation.
The sauna, humidy, heat of the stand is present with the lights off, as I am still working on the wiring.

gman0526
08/02/2006, 04:56 PM
The 2 fans should work. One blowing in, the other one out.

wlagarde
08/02/2006, 05:19 PM
Here's ehat I did. I have 90G with 2 x 400W 20K halides. I made DIY blower box tht I deliver air into the left rear side of the canopy with a 4" round duct and vent air out of the top right of the canopy with a 4" round duct. The blower box a a 24V blower that is variable speed control and has 2 speeds controlled with a temperature controller. As the water temp rises the blower speeds up to the higher speed to control the water temp. This provides laminar flow of air acoss the water surface. I have no problem controlling my temp between 78-79F.

wlagarde
08/02/2006, 05:20 PM
The advantage of the blower is superior air flow with whisper quiet operation. You really need a blower to generate the airflow needed for appropriate cooling.

wlagarde
08/02/2006, 05:21 PM
What I mean by blower is a centrifugal "squirrel cage" blower...like what is used in a central A/C system but on a smaller scale...

reef_dude76
08/02/2006, 06:03 PM
Where did you get the parts for your blower assembly, and how did you assemble it?. This might be an option for my stand. The lights appear to be vented pretty well at the moment. I just need to find a way to dissipate the heat and humidity inside the stand since it is completly enclosed. I think this is what is causing the air to heat up and stagnate inside the stand.

wlagarde
08/02/2006, 06:06 PM
I'll look up the specs on the blower. i purchased it from a surplus electronics house...hosfelt elecronics...

reef_dude76
08/03/2006, 09:20 AM
Anyone with any other ideas?

reefdiva
08/03/2006, 03:53 PM
I have a Oscillating tower fan I purchased from walmart..its tall fits under the stand,,comes in different heights, and three speeds..it has dramatically lowered my temp. all you do..is open the doors and when it oscillates it will pull and push air in and out of the cabinet(stand). The flat stand is like a 7" plate and the tower itself is only 5' wide..like I said,,they come in all different sizes..Hope it helps.

bllfish
08/03/2006, 04:43 PM
Both fans blowing in. You need as much air as you can get into the stand. The air and humidity will force itself out and do so much faster with both fans blowing in. You will also be cooling the sump which will help cooling the water returned to the tank.