PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Electrical Set-up Like?

LBCBJ
08/02/2006, 05:11 PM
Right now I just have all of my equipment plugged into a strip outlet into one socket, and my lighting into the other. I know this isn't the safest way so I'm looking for ideas on how to do it correctly. I'd like to hear about or see your electrical set-ups so I can get an idea on how to go about doing this. Do you have multiple outlets? Do you use outlet strips (surge protectors)? GFI's (built-in or external)? And so on. Thanks for any input. Pics are appreciated.

smcdonn
08/02/2006, 05:32 PM
I am in the process of building a small outlet center with switches for my tank. It seems like every time someone builds one of these they get flamed by the electricians here on RC because it doesn't meet all the codes. I personally think that even though mine probably won't pass inspection, it is much safer than having the power strip sitting on the floor. As far as the GFCI, it is a good idea to have one of these. Cheers

dougchambers
08/02/2006, 05:55 PM
We setup our new system with two (2) dedicated 20-Amp GFCI breakers to run the entire system. The breakers feed quad-outlet banks. We connected the lighting and pumps in a split-breaker configuration. Half of the lights and pumps are on one breaker while the other half come from the second breaker. That way if any one device blows a breaker, it will only take down half of the lighting and circulation.

Try to split up your power connection points and your best bet is to hit multiple breakers. With our old system, a power outage took down the whole tank. The power came back on, but the breaker tripped because of the initial startup load of all the pumps and lights. Needless to say, 33 hours without circulation wiped out everything. The smell is something I won't forget soon.

On another note, get any outlet strips or cords off the floor. If you get a drip or splash on the floor, its more likely to take out the whole strip where hanging it with plugs down will increase your success.

-Doug

marino420td
08/02/2006, 09:35 PM
Here is the panel I built for my system. Each set of outlets is plugged into its own 20 amp circuit. The outlets in the center are controlled by the switch above it. The bottom row of outlets are always hot.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b39/marino420td/120%20Gallon%20Set%20Up/mini-IMG_8379.jpg

I also have this panel under my tank. This is where I plug in my lights. I also 3 way switched my pumps so I can turn them on and off from under the tank or in the equipment room.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b39/marino420td/120%20Gallon%20Set%20Up/mini-IMG_8251.jpg

There are now covers installed. I just haven't taken a new picture
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b39/marino420td/120%20Gallon%20Set%20Up/mini-IMG_7725.jpg

Jim_S
08/02/2006, 09:36 PM
Looks good marino!

Jim

BONDQ
08/02/2006, 09:51 PM
For my 300Gallon, I have 3 Each dedicated 20AMP GFCI circuits.

My lights and pumps are split between two different circuits, and the other circuit runs my Aquacontroller III and other accessory items. My 4 each 400W metal halides, pull 16 Amps alone.
Then consider my pumps, heater, chiller, etc. etc.

I strongly agree with Doug, here regarding splitting the load, especially on GFCI circuits. They are notorious for tripping at the worst possible time.

Having your return pumps split up on different circuits is an important preventative setup step. Having powerheads on a 3rd circuit would be ideal.

Always go with GFCI and always go dedicated circuits.
Do not share with other items in the house and do not MAX out circuits, otherwise your just asking for trouble. Always plan for more than you need. Trust me, there will always be more equipment that you will want to add to your system, and it almost always uses AC power.

It's most easiest and most expensive to have a controller, it can also improve system reliability, when the programming is completed correctly.

I personally like my ACIII, but any automation makes keeping your tank easier.

If your tank is easier, you are more likely to enjoy the upkeep, rather than avoiding it.