PDA

View Full Version : Solaris Lights

CaptainPicard
08/02/2006, 09:02 PM
I was reading up on this and wanted to know your input on LED lights, it says it can produce as much par as a 250 watt 20k bulb, does any here own this device? Worth it or not?

masterqaz
08/02/2006, 09:25 PM
im for the new technology though i just dont have the money to spend on the fixture. Though from what i read and heard they are much better and long lived than MH.

theatrus
08/02/2006, 09:46 PM
LEDs are in general single-wavelength emitter devices. Not sure on the spectrum of the light these will produce.

I'd vote MH. LEDs aren't a "magic bullet" in reality (most CF house lighting is more efficient than LED lighting ;))

The Grim Reefer
08/02/2006, 09:52 PM
I want to see some sucessful tans under LED's before I would consider using them/

trndyAlex
08/03/2006, 10:49 PM
Does anyone know EXACTLY how many watts these lights are?

nemo g
08/03/2006, 11:03 PM
amazing how the science of advertising has been perfected to the point where they use a negative to sell the public as though it was a positive.

they are eager to prove the lights provide great intensity so they use "250w halide" to get you attention. if you dont know any better you may get excited. however, a 250w 20k halide provides as much pop as most 14k 150w halides.

and most people who want 250w usually want it for the extra power and thus will use the appropriate bulb, 14k or 10k, to give them the par the 250w can provide.

they should be clear as to what the unit can really put out. but then again, this would no doubt hurt sales.

caveat emptor

:rolleyes:

redFishblue
08/03/2006, 11:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7875853#post7875853 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nemo g
amazing how the science of advertising has been perfected to the point where they use a negative to sell the public as though it was a positive.

they are eager to prove the lights provide great intensity so they use "250w halide" to get you attention. if you dont know any better you may get excited. however, a 250w 20k halide provides as much pop as most 14k 150w halides.

and most people who want 250w usually want it for the extra power and thus will use the appropriate bulb, 14k or 10k, to give them the par the 250w can provide.

they should be clear as to what the unit can really put out. but then again, this would no doubt hurt sales.

caveat emptor

:rolleyes:

By 250w halide, are you refering to single or DE?

nemo g
08/03/2006, 11:40 PM
DE

i havent found any literature yet that states to which format they are referring to.

although i have read that a 250w se and de provide the same amount of par, its only the reflector design that can be made to be more efficient that allows the de bulb to produce more light.

Fiziksgeek
08/04/2006, 06:54 AM
I'll put it this way, the technology has great promise. They offer flexibility that is unparalleled by any other lighting system to date.

I don't own one, so I can't be sure how effective they are. I have concerns, mostly about the limited spectrum of LED's. It will be interesting to see what the spectral output is and how corals are affected by it.

However, if they perform as stated, This is the start of a lighting revolution!

CaptainPicard
08/04/2006, 07:00 PM
I think its a great idea, but i will think i will wait another 2 - 3 years before throwing $4,000 on one, thats a bit much and i am sure they will come down once they make their R&D costs back. But i really hope it will eventually provide all the light you need at half the heat, a quarter of the energy cost and the control you get with dimming and using cycles. That would be a feat!

johnnstacy
08/16/2006, 04:35 PM
I agree with CaptainPicard. New technology = lots of cash. It was the same with the microwave and vcr. Give it time and other manufacturers will get into the mix. Patent or no patent. Also, I would like to see something in the 10K range instead of 20K. Or better yet, adjustable par between 10K and 20K. I see this is the future for sure.