PDA

View Full Version : emergency

JimSantiago
08/02/2006, 10:52 PM
my friend has these fish that he is giving me and the problem is that i dont have a tank that is cycled or prepared in any way!! he gave his filter away and now the fish are sitting in his tank with only a wave maker. so now these fish are probably going to die unless i take some quick action... i was thinking that i take a small tank that i have and take his water and some of his substrate and a couple pieces of his live rock and put a small filter on it.. will this work?? another note the only kind of filter that i have for a smaller tank like this is one that i used to use for fresh water fish... one of those overflow ones.. is there special filters that i need to buy for that thing or will the normal filters that i used for freshwater (new ones) work? any advice would be completely helpful..

wjhuie
08/02/2006, 11:03 PM
Thats looks like your best shot. Make sure you have a heater. The powerfilter will work. just use half his water half new.

outy
08/02/2006, 11:05 PM
youve got the rite idea

get some sand and water and LR from his tank so you dont go through a cycle and kill fish

yes a HOB filter like a penguin or aquafilter will work for a fish only

your main worry is stopping a cycle

kass03
08/02/2006, 11:08 PM
You could also get more live rock from the LFS if it's cured and been in their tank for awhile.

kass

cfarrow2
08/03/2006, 12:29 AM
what kind of fish are they? You may be better off taking them back to your lfs if they're sensitive fish.

mg426
08/03/2006, 01:44 AM
That would seem like your best bet. Use as much of his water and LR as you can.

JimSantiago
08/03/2006, 05:42 PM
ok so this is what i did... i made my bigger tank and put salt, sand and some of his live rock in there.. and now the fish are in a tub with all of his old water from his tank and the rest of his live rock from his tank and a fluval filter running in it.. with a heater... how long should i wait to switch out the water in the tub and my tank so that i can have the fish in my tank??

kraze3
08/03/2006, 05:44 PM
You have to keep testing and when your cycle is thru then you can add your new fish in.

JimSantiago
08/03/2006, 05:48 PM
but can they sit in that tub with the tanks water??

RBU1
08/03/2006, 06:02 PM
After your larger tank has run for a couple day's ( to make sure the salt is well mixed) get a product by Seachem called Stability. It helps seed the biological part of the filtration. Then also pick up a product called prime. Follow the directions. I think you should use Stability for 7 days before adding fish. If you can leave them in the tank water with the filter running and just add the stuff to that as well as your tank it might work.......

Prime and Stability.....GET THEM!!!!!!

JimSantiago
08/03/2006, 06:08 PM
i dont have 7 days though i have to leave for two weeks on sun... is there anything i can do.. and if i cant can i just leave them in that tub... they seem happy but they have no light and i have no way to get it in there with out leaving the top open.. and i no this eel likes to jump.. by the way there is also a red spotted otis grouper and a lion fish along with the eel.. if all else fails can they just stay in that tub??

RBU1
08/03/2006, 06:10 PM
Unless you can get someone to add that stuff to bought tanks/tub I think you are screwed!!!!!! Don't take this the wrong way but you should have thought about it a little harder before you took the fish. Do you have any friends/local fish stores that will hold them for you?

JimSantiago
08/03/2006, 06:14 PM
it wasnt about me making this descion.. he was either going to flush the fish or give them up because he was moving.. and didnt want to hassle with it anymore.. so i am just thinking of letting my water heat up then mixing the new and the old waters together and see how it goes if it doesnt work and they die then they die and i can say i tried...

RBU1
08/03/2006, 06:55 PM
You don't have any one near you that can help you out and hold the fish? Before you leave gat a product called Prime. It should help.. I would leave them in the tub of tank water with an air stone and filter. If there is anyway to put a flourescent strip light on it with a timer that would help also. Hopefully the prime with keep the Amonia, nitrite and nitrates in check. I can't believe there is no one near you that can hold the fish for you.

RBU1
08/03/2006, 06:59 PM
Get this Prime by Seachem....It may help you thru the 2 week period..Of the fish in the tub... Do you have someone that can add it to the tub every couple days while you are gone? I would also get Stability by Seachem and add that to the tank everyday so hopefully someone can help you with that while you are gone as well. Hope this helps good luck.....

Prime™ is the complete and concentrated conditioner for both fresh and salt water. Prime™ removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. Prime™ converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank’s biofilter. Prime™ may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity. Prime™ detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them. It will also detoxify any heavy metals found in the tap water at typical concentration levels.Prime™ also promotes the production and regeneration of the natural slime coat. Prime™ is non-acidic and will not impact pH. Prime™ will not overactivate skimmers. Use at start-up and whenever adding or replacing water.