PDA

View Full Version : Banded Pipe & Ricordia?

Ibwrasstaman
08/03/2006, 09:52 AM
I have lost several pink yuma ricordia that seem to have been damaged in the oral disc area. This was followed by a rapid deteriation of the ricordia. Does anyone know if the banded pipefish are known to do this? That is all I can speculate happened.
It has only been to my pink/orange red morphs, of course they are the most expensive!
Wrassta

Travis L. Stevens
08/03/2006, 10:07 AM
Banded Pipefish are planktivores. I would not suspect them doing that. What type of damage are these guys taking? Or are you just seeing the mesenterial filaments coming out? If it's the latter, then it is probably something wrong with either the water, lights, or the coral itself. These color morphs are notoriously difficult to keep, so don't feel like you are the only one. I've personally been through four pure pink R. yuma. :(

Ibwrasstaman
08/03/2006, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the reply Travis.
I had a super sweet red/hot pink yuma with a yellow mouth that was very expensive and was the first to have this happen.
It started by me observing just the nouth of the coral apearing as though it had been mutilated. Within a day or 2, I observed the mesenterial filaments coming out after which the whole coralmorph began to deteriorate.
I did think it was odd that only the red/pink/orange morphs were effected. I have other color yumas that are still fine.
WHile it is a relief to here the banded pipefish is a planktivore, I still have a mystery on my hands!
I have decided for now, no more red/pink yumas!
I too have lost some serious change on these.
They are so cool and one of my favorite things to watch.
Wrassta