PDA

View Full Version : Drs.Foster and Smith Selection Input

geckofrog
08/03/2006, 12:50 PM
Am I the only one baffled (haha get it?) about the selection of Drs. Foster and smith?

I mean they don't carry a lot of core products:

Tunze Pumps
Utter lack of Protein Skimmers...(No deltec's, ASM, AquaC, Euro-reef etc.)
The don't offer a true complete wet/dry system. (with overflows)

These are just some of the examples.

Seems to me they are more concerned about freshwater people, rather than us the reefkeepers :(

There selection isn't that good. Now I understand that you can't order all your reef supplies from one company, but marindepot.com sure does come close...

btodd43
08/03/2006, 01:03 PM
They don't even carry Salifert-So I buy all my FW stuff from them and all my reef stuf from Premium Aquatics

artful-dodger
08/04/2006, 09:15 AM
They are addressing different markets...I have been happy to buy from both. Drs F&S provides good quality but not exotic--a middle ground between some high-end (small market) retailers and the very broad market vendors like Big Al's.

(You can get a Maxi-Jet at any of the three. You can barely find T-5 lighting at any of them, so you go to ReefGeek.)

Another thread in this forum used the car marque analogy which fits here as well. Lots more people will buy Fords than Mercedes...and only a very few will actually buy a Ferrari. All three can be successful because they don't pretend to be all things to all possible buyers.