PDA

View Full Version : sigh, need to remove a fish from my tank..

doox00
08/03/2006, 06:03 PM
well, I added 3 firefish to my 90g a couple months ago, they have always hung out together and never fought.. starting yesterday I noticed 1 was hiding all day long in the rock, only came out a couple times for a minute.

He just came out again now and noticed his tall fin on his back is torn and part of it fell off and one of hte other firefish was nipping/chasing him.. so I guess i need to remove him before he ends up being killed (sad to, this was my favorite one). Problem is I have 120 pounds of live rock, there is no way I would ever be able to catch him, they are FAST, any ideas? anything I can do to keep him in there? If not how do I set something up to catch him?

here is a picture I just quickly took when he was out, bad picture but you can see his fin is broken/tore up.

http://westmichiganmoms.net/files/tank/firefish.jpg

theatrus
08/03/2006, 06:07 PM
Firefish tend to fall asleep wedged between the substrate and the rocks, and pretty much don't go anywhere when they're asleep. This is probably the best time if you can spot where he sleeps.

doox00
08/03/2006, 06:11 PM
problem is they always wedge themselves deep into the rock, now sure how I would get down there to get em out.

Sk8r
08/03/2006, 08:27 PM
You can try rapidly lowering the water level and catching him in the last pool. This won't hurt corals, only sponges.