PDA

View Full Version : 20g Long: need suggetions

SMS76
08/03/2006, 10:02 PM
I am planning to setup 20g Long 30x12x12. It's mainly softy and lps kind of setup. Tank will have low fish bio load and it will be skimmerless and sumpless. I am planning to do weekly 15% water change. I will have some cheto for nutrient export.

For flow, if i get HOB Aquaclear 70 or 110, will that work? Do i need any other powerheads? Is Aqual Clear 70 or 110 going to be very powerful for this tank? I will be using HOB for mainly carbon and poly filters.

Also what fish do you suggest for this tank? I am thinking about getting pair of oscellaris clown fish and may be royal gramma.

Also for lighting, will 1x65W PC 50/50 10K and Actinic will work? I am not planning to do any clams or SPS, mainly softy and LPS. What do you think? This is the fixture i was considering....
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18369/si1379067/cl0/coralife30aqualightdeluxesinglelinearstriplightsw

SMS76
08/03/2006, 10:17 PM
Found this one cheaper, would you recommend this vendor and this fixture: It's 2 x 65W

http://www.aquauniverse.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,864/category_id,50/option,com_phpshop/Itemid,31/

wav3form
08/03/2006, 11:26 PM
I'd get a min. of 96 watts.

Esper
08/04/2006, 12:02 AM
PC bulbs aren't that great over my 20L...I have 65 watts, which is bright, but they look very dingy after the first month.
i'd get either t5's or a lower-wattage metal halide for a "spotlight" look. two t5's with decent reflectors will give you more than enough light for softies...maybe 3 or 4 if you want LPS/SPS. you'll definetely want a powerhead for flow, I have a maxi-jet 900, but would prefer a more diffuse flow. getting adequate water movement without blowing the sand around too much was a challenge for me in a tank this shallow. i guess it depends on the kind of sand and liverock coverage you have. good luck!

cyenna
08/04/2006, 02:40 AM
If i had to do it over again, i would skip the aquaclear 110 and just go with powerheads if you don't want any sort of fuge. You can control the direction of the flow much easier with powerheads. Or, I would go with the 70 and still have two smaller powerheads. As far as lighting, I think for what you want, your lighting plan would be sufficient but personally, I would still get more wattage just in case.... :rollface: I've never heard of aquauniverse or catalina aquarium but it sounds like a good deal. For me, I did a bunch of research finding out what people liked and the such and I eventually got my fixture at http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/power_Orbit.html and I'm pretty pleased with it. As for the fish, I think three is a good number for a 20L assuming you will keep up with the water changes and stuff. However, you said you would have a low bioload and I think that is ranging on medium-high so maybe you should consider the extra volume that an AC110 offers. I wouldn't go for many more fish, if any at all. Good luck!

aclos3
08/04/2006, 05:22 AM
I have an 18g tall tank, and currently it is skimmerless and sumpless, but running healthy since I set it up back in January.

I have two Pengiun HOBs, a 99 and a 160 (or 170) forget the model exactly. In addition, I have two rio 180's, one of which turns on and off throughout the day and remains off at night.

This amount of flow has worked well for some low light sps, and polyps.

So I guess you would say, I have high flow in my skimmerless, sumpless nano set up.

That being said, I am in the process of adding a 10g sump and Coralife SS 65g skimmer. I will probably move both HOBs to the sump since the return flow should make up for the flow from the HOBs.