PDA

View Full Version : Coral Beauty and Flame Angel compatability

Kaos
08/04/2006, 04:18 PM
Has anyone had any success keeping a CB and FA together? If so, what size tank? Would it be beneficial to add one or the other first or at the same time? TIA.

ACBlinky
08/05/2006, 12:17 AM
This topic seems to surface every couple weeks. Sometimes it works, sometimes it won't -- it seems to depend on the tank, and the individual fish. I have four angels in my 65g, a flagfin and three dwarfs: a white-tailed pygmy, a flame and a coral beauty (by far the largest of the group). I added the flagfin first, then the flame, then the CB and the flavicauda was recently moved from another tank. They all get along well, rarely even posture and never fight. They've established a hierarchy and take turns at the nori clip. I don't know if the grouping will work long-term -- the FF is just a tiny ~2" baby, but he will eventually reach 8"+ (they'll be in a much larger tank long before then), and the dwarfs all have some growing left to do as well. Every single fish in the tank is territorial to a degree, so I keep an eye on things, but for now the angels are living up to their name and playing nice :)

BTTRFLYGRL
08/05/2006, 05:37 AM
As a rule, Dwarf Angels do NOT like their own kind...It is possible that they will fight each other to the death...ACBlinky has been lucky to have had success with that many in a small tank..I won't recommend placing two in the same tank unless its a 6' tank . They need to look completely different and need to be added at the same time..

If you want to place these in your 55, I'd say its a bad idea..tank is too small for these fish who tend to have very LARGE attitudes

snorvich
08/05/2006, 06:03 PM
I would have to agree with Bttrflygrl. It is problematical at best and fatal at worst. The larger the tank, the greater the probability it MAY work. Keep in mind that any two fish that occupy the same ecological niche probably will not get along but if the territory is large enough you make fake them out.

alebrun
08/05/2006, 06:33 PM
would a 92 g reef be big enough for a cb and a potters angle

Salty Brother
08/05/2006, 07:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7885704#post7885704 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by alebrun
would a 92 g reef be big enough for a cb and a potters angle
I think you could do it. Just watch them and hopefully they wont fight. But remember most angels have a 50/50 chance of picking at corals.